Sea Monster in my Tank!?!

pixie.hallows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please ignore my angry corals. They retract at night typically even though they’ve been a bit more temperamental lately.

In October, we went on a trip for a week and had a neighbor feeding my fish. The day we got back, I didn’t see my firefish goby but it wasn’t uncommon for him to hide, so I didn’t think anything of it. The next day when I fed them, however, he didn’t come out to eat. My corals seemed unhappy too. So I went looking for the fish. Took out rocks, sifted through sand, checked the filter… nothing. It was like he had just disappeared.

Slowly over the last month I’ve gotten my parameters back up, although I did lose one coral and they still haven’t bounced back to as happy before the disappearing fish.

When I had the light and filter/pumps off to do a water change. I noticed two spiny legs slowly coming out from under a rock. But they retracted pretty quickly when I turned on the light to get a better look.

Tonight I was able to capture this video. I think it’s a long leg from a sea star?? He must have come in as a hitchhiker at some point, but this seems like a pretty long leg to me. Do you think that’s what it is? Could it have eaten my goby?
Are my other fish in danger? I have two pink skunk clowns, a shrimp a cleaner crew of snails/hermits and quite a few corals.

Any advice on what this is or what I should do is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0716.mov
    59.8 MB
OP
OP
pixie.hallows

pixie.hallows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3170.jpeg

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I remove them? Are they harmful?
Ugly but beneficial clean up crew. They’ll eat any detritus, and fairly efficiently clear away any dead snails, crabs, etc before they rot.

Harmless to your tank inhabitants. Don’t touch it with your hands though or the bristles will give you a nasty sting.

They’re extremely difficult to keep out of tanks. If you have ocean live rock assume you have then. They also ride in on crabs, snails, corals etc.

I guarantee you have more than one… removal is somewhat futile unless you have an infestation, and at that point you need to check how much you’re feeding the tank.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, "sea monster" :) not everything gross or ugly looking is bad. If you really want to see the creepy crawlys, look around your tank a few hours after lights out with a flashlight. Every inch of my tank crawls with life.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I remove them? Are they harmful?
I remove them when I see them and feed them to my arrow crabs in my other tank as theyve hunted most of those in there. They creep me out. Some people like them some dont

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, "sea monster" :) not everything gross or ugly looking is bad. If you really want to see the creepy crawlys, look around your tank a few hours after lights out with a flashlight. Every inch of my tank crawls with life.
Yep… its gross. When I first started out I freaked out with every little thing I saw! Now Im just like meh unless its something that Im like what on helheim is that lol

OTReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are always welcome in my setups except my frag tank as it doesn’t have live rock or sand. Great addition to the clean up crew! They can burrow, squeeze, and slip through a lot of places crabs and slugs can’t get. I know a guy that had a couple at over 2 ft in their tank! If your trying to get them out printed reef makes a pretty cool trap for $20.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about bristle worms at all. Just be aware to not try to touch them - they usually only come out at night. But if you handle rocks/go digging you may run into one. Not a big issue, will just irritate your finger for a couple of days.

As others have mentioned, best idea is to shine a flashlight into the tank in the middle of the night to try to identify any possible issues.

Do you have a tank lid/net? if so maybe the person feeding forgot to put it on one night and it jumped as Gobies are known to do.

OP
OP
pixie.hallows

pixie.hallows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about bristle worms at all. Just be aware to not try to touch them - they usually only come out at night. But if you handle rocks/go digging you may run into one. Not a big issue, will just irritate your finger for a couple of days.

As others have mentioned, best idea is to shine a flashlight into the tank in the middle of the night to try to identify any possible issues.

Do you have a tank lid/net? if so maybe the person feeding forgot to put it on one night and it jumped as Gobies are known to do.
Thanks. I do have a tank lid and checked the outside of the tank as well. Pretty sure the govt didn’t jump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back