Sea urchin for GHA -- Reefer 350

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title states, I'm looking for a reef safe sea urchin for GHA in my reefer 350. Right now all I have are some softies as well as some fish (clowns, cardinalfish, damselfish).

Looking to see what my best option(s) would be.. I've come across pincushion, tuxedo, and rock boring.. thanks!

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh LFS doesn't have any ATM but has rock boring available.. anyone have experience with these that would recommend? Or should I wait on the tuxedo?

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh LFS doesn't have any ATM but has rock boring available.. anyone have experience with these that would recommend? Or should I wait on the tuxedo?
The Tuxedo will pick up anything that's not glued down. Frags, snails, you name it.

I am having good luck with my pincushion urchin. Eats all algae in its path and doesn't pick everything up the way my Tuxedo did.

I know nothing about rock borers, sorry.

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock boring, pincushion & tuxedo. I’d probably rank them in that order in terms of effectiveness, in my experience.

With that said, none of the three have contained GHA too well. I wouldn’t go as far as saying they eat everything in their path, but they definitely eat well based on growth & they’re among my favorite tank inhabitants.

My rock boring was a hitchhiker on Gulf of Mexico LR (I know there are a couple different species) while the tuxedo and pincusion are both ORA captive-bred.

I did lose a frag of firework clove polyps to the tuxedo (it had GHA growing on the plug), but otherwise zero issues with coral.

Pincusion & tuxedo will pick up & wear objects in their path. My tuxedo likes to wear fern caulpera, while the pincushion prefers snail shells & an occasional loose frag.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a long spine for about 5 years and he has been in 3 different tanks over those years and doing his job well. I just have to watch where he is when I do mantaince so not to get stuck. One thing I like about Long spine is that Pajama Cardinals will host in their spines. They do get big over time. mine started out a little under the size of a tennis ball and is now the size of a softball.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock boring, pincushion & tuxedo. I’d probably rank them in that order in terms of effectiveness, in my experience.

With that said, none of the three have contained GHA too well. I wouldn’t go as far as saying they eat everything in their path, but they definitely eat well based on growth & they’re among my favorite tank inhabitants.

My rock boring was a hitchhiker on Gulf of Mexico LR (I know there are a couple different species) while the tuxedo and pincusion are both ORA captive-bred.

I did lose a frag of firework clove polyps to the tuxedo (it had GHA growing on the plug), but otherwise zero issues with coral.

Pincusion & tuxedo will pick up & wear objects in their path. My tuxedo likes to wear fern caulpera, while the pincushion prefers snail shells & an occasional loose frag.
What size tank do you have?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
tuxedo or pin cushion. i'd even suggest the sand dollar urchin to clean your sand, too.

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have?

I have an IM 40 Long EXT. Fully understand they can eventually outgrow the tank, at which point I’ll hopefully be ready for an upgrade, provide supplemental feedings, or consider rehoming as a last resort. However, right now they’re plenty busy.

The rock boring has grown from about the size of a dime to a little larger than a golf ball in about 7 months. Growth rate has slowed more recently. Tuxedo is the smallest of the three and probably about half the size of a golf ball (these do not get too big). The pincushion I only added about a month ago, but have read they have a slow growth rate. A lot of conflicting info on max size in captivity. This one is a little larger than a golf ball (wider body than rock boring but shorter spines).

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have an IM 40 Long EXT. Fully understand they can eventually outgrow the tank, at which point I’ll hopefully be ready for an upgrade, provide supplemental feedings, or consider rehoming as a last resort. However, right now they’re plenty busy.

i have a tuxedo in my 40B. been there for some months now and showing no signs of outgrowing the tank. i believe its more so if you have enough to offer for feeding, which is why larger tanks are generally recommended for them.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't know why anyone bothers with them. They practically only target coralline algae and make the tank more vulnerable to hair algae.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up purchasing a Halloween urchin and just finished drip acclimation and placement in tank. About 20 mins after adding it started spawning.. should I be concerned or is this pretty typical?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 106 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back