Sea Urchin Hitchhiker

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlfredE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AlfredE

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2019
Messages
9
Reaction score
7
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some live rock about 6 weeks ago for a now 4 month old tank. Came with some interesting stuff - three sea squirts, a couple of turkey wing clams, some cup coral and various sponges. All still alive so far - apart from some sponges that were DOA. I'm feeding Seachem Zoo and Phyto Plankton and using ZK Sponge Power. There are no fish in the tank. Today a small urchin appeared (body diameter about 1") :

urchin2_small.jpg


urchin3_small.jpg


It's black in color - other than "black sea urchin" does anyone recognize the species? Any special care needs other than just letting it eat algae? Also, I feel like I should be looking for some live zoo/phyto plankton for the squirts and clams - any suggested brands? Thanks!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new