Seachem Advance for Chaeto Growth

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all :)

I have been recently experimenting with dosing Seachem's Advance, a photosythetic hormone supplement for planted aquaria, in the hopes of jump starting my chaeto growth. Anyone ever tried this before? Have been dosing 50% recommended dosage daily with no ill effects so far. May up to full dosages soon. My chaeto, since dosing Iron and Advance daily, has become a much darker, healthier green over the past few days, in combination with 24/7 lighting.

I have had the ball for about 3-4 weeks and saw little to no growth. My guess was too low of nutrients, so I raised my Nitrates from about 2 to 4, through Nitrogen dosing. Also switched to a full spectrum planted tank light (NICREW ClassicLED) in combo with a 40 par red bulb. Going on day 5 now and beginning to see change, so something is working.

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically just adding essential elements + amino acids + "photohormones"?
16164302650645286257008313044512.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those "minerals" are in short supply in seawater, unless phosphate is too low. They are present in huge excess. So they accomplish nothing.

It is the hormones that I only "expect" do nothing.

Amino acids might be useful for corals, but generally I'm not sure if algae even can take them up,a nd if they do, it reduces their uptake of other N sources, such as nitrate, so may not be desirable in the long run.

Iron and other trace elements (such as manganese) can be very helpful for macroalgae, greening up macroalgae as you saw.

OP
OP
Drew1600

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Randy, I really appreciate your time and knowledge sir, very helpful. I may perhaps finish the bottle since it can't really do any harm. Thanks again! :)

Back