High Phospate Low Nitrate

NarcoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rookie reefer looking for some advice here…

For the past three weeks, I’ve been consistently measuring ZERO nitrates and high phosphates (.45 a few mins ago with Hanna checker). Trying to diagnose the issue here since I keep reading about ratios and I know mine are waayyyy off.

Here is what I have going: I will give as much detail as possible to save you all the trouble of asking what I'm running and hopefully help me solve the prob sooner than later...thanks in advance!

New build is seven months old; Waterbox Marine X110.4 (110 total system volume; 80 gal display, 30 gal sump; 80lbs sand and rock...so not quite sure what my actual water volume is)

I have about 70 LPS and 10 SPS frags; all are looking pretty good in my rookie opinion (vibrant colors, polyp extension, and noticeable growth)

Three fish ( Had 12 but Ich wipeout a couple months ago and these are the three lone survivors: Foxface, coral beauty, banggai)

GADGETS
Fleece Roller; running 24/7 - Reef Factory Smart Roller M
Skimmer; running 24/7 - Nyos Quantum 160
Chaeto Reactor - Pax Bellum ARID N24 (dosing included additives daily- Iron Manganese .4ml/day and Nitrogen Molybdenum) It has been running for a month and emptied twice with loads of chaeto)
Media Reactor - Nyos with BRS ROX 0.8 carbon (I replace every two weeks as water looks "yellow")
UV Sterilizer - 25 Watt IceCap running at 100gph 24/7 measure with Neptune meter (Ich outbreak PTSD)

DAILY DOSING (Reef Factory X4 Smart dosing pump)
Tropic Marin All-for-reef (consistent readings with Hanna checkers (Alk 10, Cal 430, Mag 1300)
Red Sea AB+ 20ml/Day
Red Sea NO3;PO4 10ml/Day

FEEDING
Daily - Morning - I thaw and mix the following and broadcast feed with rtrn pump off and power heads on; frozen half cube Hikari spirulina brine, half cube mysis, 1tsp reef nutrition oyster feast, 1tsp reef nutrition phyto feast.

Daily - Evening - Auto feeder TDO pellets

Twice a week - Spot feed LPS benepets benepellets AND spot feed Reef Roids 1 TBSP

WATER Maintenance
15 Gallon water changes weekly; 4 stage RODI and Waterbox reef salt

Not sure that I've included everything you may need to help diagnose the issue but any input would be appreciated; I can provide additional info as needed. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2160.jpeg

IMG_2019.jpeg
IMG_2110.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up the reef energy, stop the nopox, put the skimmer on a timer to be on only at night.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef roids is a phosphate spiker. Also saw that you’re dosing NO3:pO4, dose NO3 individually. Should get you right back on track.

The no3,po4 is nopox, which is a form of liquid carbon dosing, not nitrate and phosphate.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The no3,po4 is nopox, which is a form of liquid carbon dosing, not nitrate and phosphate.
Oh ok! Thanks. In that case, NoPox will have a larger effect on reducing nitrates before it reduces phosphates so you’re likely setting the system further out of balance by continuing to use while you figure out the phosphate issue.

ReefLaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a similar problem and realized the all for reef was acting as carbon dosing and tanking my nitrates. Definitely cut out nopox as you are double carbon dosing which greatly affects nitrates. Just keep dosing nitrates and try to stabilize them at 10-20 ppm

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back