SeaChem Copper Test Kit

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was measuring copper today, it took it greater than the 20-30 seconds to start changing colors. However, when using the reference that came with it, the colors changed pretty quick.

The directions say to measure after 20-30 seconds, but it stays clear until at least a minute. I'm measuring Culpramine. The first sample was NSW with 2 drops per gallon that was mixing in a 5 gallon bucket. The second was the same water after I put 10 more drops in, and there was a difference though.

Is it ok to wait longer than the 20-30 seconds to compare colors?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used the Seachem test, but noticed the same thing with the Salifert test last year. It took a good 15 minutes to notice the color change and I ended up finding that the test kit was past expiration.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, well, this is a brand new kit that just got delivered yesterday from Premium Aquatics. Expiration is like 2013 or something like that.

The thing that baffled me is that the reference changes very quickly, while tank water takes a bit.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jsut looked at the directions of my salifert and it says:
Allow it to stand for 10 minutes. Some copper medications might use strongly bound copper and would require a waiting time of 20 minutes. In case of doubt compare the value after 10 and 20 minutes of waiting. The highest value should be noted.

Maybe the culpramine is a "strongly bound copper"

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine calls the other copper something else, but right after, in parenthesis, says that culpramine is not one of those types of copper. Otherwise, I'd slap myself for not reading the directions, haha

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back