Seachem Phosphorous vs. Brightwell Neophos.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to dose phosphates in my my full 180g mixed reef or it will zero out.
I’ve used Brightwells Neophos and this worked well to maintain 0.08-0.1ppm.

Does anyone use Seachem Flourish Phosphorous supplement to increase phosphate?

Sea Chem posts the product is “derived from” momopotassium phosphate but I see nothing for Brightwell Neophos.

Any guidance, comments or experiences would be appreciated.
4901B8D6-F58D-43E3-B8D7-BC5C29E42F59.jpeg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the Seachem since I'm phosphate limited.

Does exactly what its supposed to. Last time my SPS tank bottomed out with phosphate and I added Seachem back up to .03 the effects were immediate and obvious improvements in growth, especially with birdsnests.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 is PO4. The amount you need is so small that I wouldn’t fret over one vs. the other. For my 55G system, I dose a few ml of a .2% solution of bulk monopotassium phosphate I had for a FW planted tank, and it’s fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now where is the food grade nitrate mix? =)

There are several acceptable brands. Loudwolf is one:

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, Randy. That's a heck of alot cheaper than neonitrate being able to mix my own. Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. So would we dose this product the same amount as dosing Neonitrate or other nitrate products? Is it also mixed just as instructed in the bottle or do we do another formula since we are using it for our tanks? Thanks in advance!

Neonitrate is a liquid, I believe. This is the dry solid.

Use this calculator and procedure and use the entry for potassium nitrate (it is close enough):

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pure potassium nitrate on hand. Is that a comparable product?

IMO, sodium is better unless you are monitoring potassium, but some folks use it.

What does "pure" mean?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh.. maybe not the most accurate choice of words. This product:

It's used in planted tanks which may use potassium more than our reefs. I can monitor and I found the following link on high potassium for reef. Sounds like it may actually be beneficial within some high end range before it becomes a problem.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several acceptable brands. Loudwolf is one:

I do wish to caution people to really trust the seller especially off Amazon. I bought 'food grade' sodium nitrate off amazon from a seeming legit seller - everything appeared fantastic and professional. However it clearly was not very pure as it crashed my tank. I mean like every single coral, sps, softies, LPS bailed out of the skeletons. I have used nitrate solutions for years as needed without ever having a bad issue until then. The only reason I ever found out it was the nitrate was my friend borrowed some but needed far less, his tank started to suffer the same effects as mine almost instantly, thankfully his crash was just a few coral, mine was at least 5,000 of various coral.... almost 100% wipeout.

I am sure if Randy says this brand is ok then it is, but I just wish to caution folk to be 100% because the cost was so high losing everything. I almost left the hobby. So while some of these might have higher purity than aquarium branded solutions and be much cheaper, I am just no longer willing to take the risk.

Back