Seachem reef glue vs cheep super glue?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on using a mixture of glue and acrylic rods for building a wet aquascape tomorrow. Is there any benefit to using seachem reef glue over either gorilla clue or cheap superglue with cyanoacrylate?

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any cyanoacrylate gel is fine. (The gel versions are easier to use). I prefer Loctite brand, but even a generic is fine.
Good stuff, thanks. I wasn’t sure if any brands offfered any differences in concentration of cyanoacrylate or anything like that.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff, thanks. I wasn’t sure if any brands offfered any differences in concentration of cyanoacrylate or anything like that.
Some are stronger than others, but they’re all effective. You don’t need an excavator for a house plant, just a shovel will do.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are stronger than others, but they’re all effective. You don’t need an excavator for a house plant, just a shovel will do.
Actually, no. The gel versions have slightly longer bonding time but all the common superglues are the same general "strength".

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, no. The gel versions have slightly longer bonding time but all the common superglues are the same general "strength".
Gluemasters is stronger. That said, gluing acrylic rod down defeats the sole benefit. You would be better off filling the areas with epoxy, but again I don’t recommend it.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulkreefsupply BSI 8oz Extra Thick Superglue Gel cost $30, 1oz for $5.99. BSI also has a spray ACTIVATOR that Quick Sets the cyanoacrylate gel. I used it on my Scape, and I use it to glue frags to rocks too.

Or you can buy Gorilla 25g (0.88oz) for $8. It's your money. BSI Glue is the best value I have found.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back