Seaclone 100 Skimmer

Mason W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this skimmer yesterday however I set it up and I’ve been adjusting it but I can’t get the foam to go up the collection cup.

Attachments

• 69385657098__1B309268-84C3-498D-B1CE-65787CEC1C67.MOV
    1.1 MB

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this skimmer is notoriously referred to as the the 'Seaclown'. They are well known for overflowing and dumping water all over the floor. Is there anything available on CL in your area that might be in your budget? Have you checked the Marketplace here for any HOB skimmers?? Can you return it?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh, it is probably the worst skimmer option there is. I bought one many years ago and it went in the garbage where it belongs

OP
OP
M

Mason W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this skimmer is notoriously referred to as the the 'Seaclown'. They are well known for overflowing and dumping water all over the floor. Is there anything available on CL in your area that might be in your budget? Have you checked the Marketplace here for any HOB skimmers?? Can you return it?
I don’t know if I can return it, also not sure what would be in my budget. I got it as a Christmas gift.

OP
OP
M

Mason W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna wait a couple days to see if it gets better but others I might contact the manufacturer to return it and get a better one

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I can return it, also not sure what would be in my budget. I got it as a Christmas gift.
I have this same protein Skimmer on my setup. It has been a pain from day one. It actually cracked on my and I ended up epoxying it. I also didn't really have it in my budget either to upgrade. The thing about the bubbles though can be addressed. There are several youtube videos out there modifying it with the top of a regular water bottle. That helped get bubbles into the cup for me and it's been running great since. Hope this helps you in the mean time.

OP
OP
M

Mason W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same protein Skimmer on my setup. It has been a pain from day one. It actually cracked on my and I ended up epoxying it. I also didn't really have it in my budget either to upgrade. The thing about the bubbles though can be addressed. There are several youtube videos out there modifying it with the top of a regular water bottle. That helped get bubbles into the cup for me and it's been running great since. Hope this helps you in the mean time.

I tried the cup thing earlier but it just foams out of the top of the cup and goes back into the skimmer

OP
OP
M

Mason W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 69386119716__9347C385-8F28-4736-93BF-B1DB73237359.MOV
    576.9 KB

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for many, many years and was running it on my qt tank until recently when the pump finally died. The worst part about them is that there is no adjustment other than using an air valve. I never had any major issues with mine, but it also never did a very good job.

I agree if returning it is an option I would definitely return it. If not then I’d just let it run for a few days and see if it starts working, if not start adjusting the air intake.

OP
OP
M

Mason W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it working!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 100

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it working!
I would also recommend once you get the air dialed in to take a small piece of tape and just press it to that valve. Don't cover the valve, you are just lightly pressing the two pieces together so it doesn't spin free.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOFH .. yeah if options to return get credit /return. very familiar with this skimmer .. "sea clown" ..
Worst case us end up using it I recall there were some mods for this skimmer way back. I think one was cutting the internal tube to increase dwell/contact time.
$.02

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just got this skimmer yesterday however I set it up and I’ve been adjusting it but I can’t get the foam to go up the collection cup.
I dont have to add to the poor quality of these units and your best bet is an IceCap k2-50 or K2-100 which works like a full size skimmer unit

Back