Seahorse and microfauna

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any seahorses besides the dwarf I can keep without being there to constantly feed it? I do travel a lot, yet I want to keep a seahorse. I have a 29 gallon macroalgae tank full of copepods and amphipods. I dose phytoplankton to keep the population high. Are there any seahorses that can just graze off the microfauna?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any seahorses besides the dwarf I can keep without being there to constantly feed it? I do travel a lot, yet I want to keep a seahorse. I have a 29 gallon macroalgae tank full of copepods and amphipods. I dose phytoplankton to keep the population high. Are there any seahorses that can just graze off the microfauna?
Actually all seahorses need multiple feedings a day, (even dwarf seahorses). The reason is their stomach's are primitive and not very efficient. They are not capable of getting the same nutrients out of their food as most fish. That means that they must eat much more than other fish to meet their energy needs.

I did read 1 thread on seahorse.org that kept a single pair of dwarf seahorses in a 40 gallon breeder tank. That tank was meticulously set up with lots of seeded pods and mysis shrimp prior to the ponies being added. The mysis shrimp reproduced and the ponies fed on the larvae. Most folks are not content to have so few animals in that size of a tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and this is the reason why I decided not to set up a SH tank after 90% getting all the goodies. :(
if you live in an area where there is an active reefing community you could always hire or trade to feed your SH.

just a thought...but the 2X a day feeding and care I decided I could not do it with my traveling.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and this is the reason why I decided not to set up a SH tank after 90% getting all the goodies. :(
if you live in an area where there is an active reefing community you could always hire or trade to feed your SH.

just a thought...but the 2X a day feeding and care I decided I could not do it with my traveling.
I applaud you for recognising your limitations. Too many folks get the ponies then realise that they really can't care for them as they should.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back