Seahorse Newbie

rheagle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I currently have a 37 gallon reef tank, and I'm in the process of upgrading to a 92 gallon corner tank. It's still in the early stages, but I've learned enough with my "little" tank to know that I need to take it slow. I wanted saltwater fish for years and just settled for freshwater thinking that it would be too hard and expensive for me. Well, it probably is too expensive but oh well, you can't take it with you :). Anyway, since I have caught the bug, and I've always wanted seahorses I had decided to convert my 37 gallon to a seahorse tank. Now, I found a 39 gallon hexagon tank that needs to be resealed, and I was thinking that would be a better option for ponies. I am still in the early planning stages, and I would like some feedback so that I can set this up right and have healthy animals. Here are my plans currently...

Should I use the 37 gallon, or the 39 gallon hexagon?
sand or sugar sand for the substrate?
HOB filter
Live rock
possibly build a false rock wall
bangaii cardinal (I've read these do well with them)
mandarin
peppermint shrimp
snails
maybe a few non-agressive corals
small pump with airline
macro algae

Would a sump or protein skimmer be necessary, or very beneficial? Should I have them before I get the first sea horses? Would this be something that I could add later?

How many sea horses could be kept? I'm thinking that I'll probably get H. Erectus.

What kind of light would I need? I know if I add corals that I'll probably get another LED, but if it's only the ponies and macro algae would a normal tank light that has a full spectrum bulb be sufficient?

Thanks for all advice. I'm anxious to get started, but I want it done right.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do whichever you like the most. I don't think tank shape matters much.

If you are planning to raise seahorses, you will want a taller tank. H. erectus will do their courting dance more readily in a 21" tall tank or higher.

I would recommend getting a skimmer. The seahorses need frequent feedings and leave a lot of waste from their food and their poop. I would go with LED lighting. The standard lighting would be OK for most macros but they can run somewhat hot. This brings me to the next point, do you plan a chiller? The tank should be run at about 74 or cooler. This helps to slow the growth of vibro.

OP
OP
R

rheagle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I will use the hexagon tank and get an LED. I am going to set the tank up this summer and see if I can keep it cool enough before I decide on a chiller. I haven't had any trouble with my other tank, so I can monitor it before I put the seahorses in. It will probably be at least fall before I have the tank established enough. All additional answers and advice is appreciated.

Thanks

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I will use the hexagon tank and get an LED. I am going to set the tank up this summer and see if I can keep it cool enough before I decide on a chiller. I haven't had any trouble with my other tank, so I can monitor it before I put the seahorses in. It will probably be at least fall before I have the tank established enough. All additional answers and advice is appreciated.

Thanks
I too am in the midst of a seahorse tank build. I also hope to get my ponies in the fall after the tank gets established.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 30 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back