Seahorse Tank build

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So I am very new to this type of build. I came across this tank and I couldn't pass it up. It's a 30 gallon tall tank. I would love to put a pair of seahorses with a basic clean up crew and maybe a fish or two. I would love 2 pairs, but I am not sure if the tank is big enough. I also would love input on what type of filtration I should run. A hob filter, or a sump. there isn't much room underneath. Lighting from what I've been told can be minimal, but I am also wanting to do plants and such to make it natural. So the lighting is still questionable. I have not started even cycling the water or anything yet. I just bought the tank last week and wanted to wait til after the craziness of the holidays pass. I also am not sure what types of seahorses I would get. Any input is appreciated. I have done tons of research on seahorse.org but generally have pretty good help and responses on this site. Thought I'd give it a go! Thanks!

20161227_184627.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that sea horses do best in a species only tank. they are very sensitive to infections and diseases that can be passed on from other fish. they also need to be fed several times a day. but that tank would work for a few sea horses. I only recommend purchasing captive bred, directly from a breeder.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So I am very new to this type of build. I came across this tank and I couldn't pass it up. It's a 30 gallon tall tank. I would love to put a pair of seahorses with a basic clean up crew and maybe a fish or two. I would love 2 pairs, but I am not sure if the tank is big enough. I also would love input on what type of filtration I should run. A hob filter, or a sump. there isn't much room underneath. Lighting from what I've been told can be minimal, but I am also wanting to do plants and such to make it natural. So the lighting is still questionable. I have not started even cycling the water or anything yet. I just bought the tank last week and wanted to wait til after the craziness of the holidays pass. I also am not sure what types of seahorses I would get. Any input is appreciated. I have done tons of research on seahorse.org but generally have pretty good help and responses on this site. Thought I'd give it a go! Thanks!

20161227_184627.jpg
There are some good threads you might want to check out in the seahorse/pipefish section. If you can do it, a sump is always better IMO. It will give you the extra water volume as well as be able to hide all of the equipment (especially important in a smaller tank). My seahorse tank is an AIO so everything is hidden in the back. If you are going to grow macro algae, gorgonians, etc. then you will want a decent light as well. As far as fish, just make sure they are extremely docile fish. I have a pipefish and one Bangaii cardinal in my seahorse tank.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I love sea horses as well but just don't have the time right now for all of the feedings and care they need. That tank should be great for them though!

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely keep two pairs in a 30 gallon but the adult size is important to check. Pipefish are a good option but make sure you get fish that will eat frozen food. Hang on the back skimmer and not filter is highly recommended. Macro algae is very important and easy soft corals like Kenya tree works well. Mine hangs out in the tree like a troop of monkeys most days as well as the little forest of Halimeda at the bottom. Also stock up on meds BEFORE you get the horses. I found Seohorse.org to be good reference as well as fusedjaw.com. PM me if you have questions. Following along .

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to go this route after hearing such great reviews about them, it's a fluval 206. Should be putting water in soon! Thoughts on the fluvals?

1487081329788.jpeg
1487081342429.jpeg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank with the fluval on it. I actually ended up putting more flow in there, put you'll have to see how it runs for you. I'm going to be a little different and say "avoid the pipefish". We do not know the cause, but mixing WC pipefish and CB horses often lead to the death of either. I'd put 2 pair in in a 30 gallon and a great beginner horse is an erectus.

I fed once a day only, to be honest. If I was just pouring mysis in the tank (versus placing food in a feeding dish) I would pour a little bit in every 10 minutes.

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought less flow would be good for horses. Maybe I was wrong. I will definitely check out that type of horse you mentioned. I am not sure if I will out any fish in at all. I may just stick to seahorses. I'm still figuring this out as I go. I have a 300 gallon and a 75 gallon I also upkeep, so minimal worry is my goal. Lol

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so minimal worry is my goal. Lol

Then you better run away from seahorses! LOL!

They need places where they can get out of high flow, but we've kind of moved away from the low flow recommendations. It may be enough, but you kind of need to set it up with the aquascaping to determine if it's what you're looking for.

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimal worry is my goal, not minimal upkeep. I have no problem doing what needs to be done. Like for instance in my 300 gallon, my trigger and puffer are eating everything I put in, even my algae blenny I had. I worry they are going to eat one of my clown fish next. Lol. So the less worry I have the better. If they need a high flow area, what would you suggest to put in in addition to the fluval?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an airpump with rigid tubing in one of my tanks. It actually provided a lot of flow and the seahorses loved to play in it. In the am after courting, they would all take turns in the bubbles to clean themselves off.

Your life will definitely less worrisome without tankmates.

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am sadly just now getting around to leak testing the tank. Better be safe than sorry

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright everyone! The tank is setup and just started the cycling now. Now a waiting game. I am eager to get it going... has anyone ever thrown in raw shrimp before? To speed up the cycle per say? Lmk your thoughts on that! Thanks :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back