Seahorse Tank build

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted to keep seahorses, but when I keep them I'm going to have a large mangrove only refugium for my 75 gallon that they will be in. I think mangroves will be a good idea because the seahorses need things to hang in to but I also like the cleaner look of mangroves in sand w/o all of their roots showing. The refugium will probably be displayed next to me tank.

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be adding a small cleaner crew to the seahorse tank today! My question to you guys is the temperature. I'm concerned that it is not low enough for the seahorses....should I invest in a chiller or fans or something? It stays around 78 .

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Its been awhile! I finally am at the stages where I feel like I can put some seahorses in, but I have a few questions if anyone could answer! I felt like I had to invest in a chiller being in the hot Florida weather. So I am currently keeping the tank around 76-77. Should I push it lower? I only have a few snails and a blenny in there right now. Hoping to put some seahorses within the next few weeks! Any additional help is appreciated.

20170525_054812.jpg 20170525_054747.jpg

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it might help to keep the chiller in another room because the chiller will heat the room which will heat the tank which will keep the chiller from turning off and so on.

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't be ideal to have it in another room and having hoses go everywhere. Not even sure how that would work. I have it placed in front of an air vent, so it's being cooled constantly.

OP
OP
AmandaRaeJean

AmandaRaeJean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for Seahorses! Its been crazy few months. Finally got the tank perfect. Chiller is running beautifully and levels are great in the tank. My boyfriend decided to get me an early birthday present today! Two tank raised seahorses. Acclimating now, pictures to follow!! Woo hoo. Lets hope they do well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back