seahorse tank

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that they are very compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon with a flame angel, mystery wrasse, melanurus wrasse, gramma, clown goby, bang eye cardinal, and of course my ingens seahorse :) although hes not fast to the food he is still very well fed. If its a tank set up for breeding than I have no clue but hope this helps!

OP
OP
A

amazingreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very helpful. no it wont be for breeding just a peaceful aquarium. hope to have it up and well stocked by time my parents come to visit in june. my mom loves seahorses. i also hear it isnt good to put lots of strong stinging corals in with seahorses, is that true

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very helpful. no it wont be for breeding just a peaceful aquarium. hope to have it up and well stocked by time my parents come to visit in june. my mom loves seahorses. i also hear it isnt good to put lots of strong stinging corals in with seahorses, is that true

Yeah stinging corals are not good!! Anemones especially. Also open brains and some others. I have zoas, palys, hammer coral, war coral, star polyps, chalice, montipora, ricordea, acans. Most people say acro isnt the best because seahorses are known to irritate and even kill them but I dont keep acros so its ok! My clown goby has nipped at my seahorse but hes a little territorial and the seahorse really doesnt even care. I got mine off liveaquaria or dfs when he was just over an inch. I had kept wild seahorse but not ones this small! Was a little difficult at first just because of the size I had to get live brine a lot but now hes over 4 inches and eats frozen mysis like no tomorrow!! They are really one of the most entertaining things to watch. As you can tell I love mine haha

OP
OP
A

amazingreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now i have a few leather corals and mushrooms. im so excited to get some. i found seahorses pretty cheap from a place on ebay. the place is foxyfish....i dont remember the rest of the name. he has great communication. also calls you himself if need be. check it out

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems pretty good! If I were you though id definitely go with the common seahorse over the dwarf because they do not get very big and are harder to feed.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
huh? really?

Yeah their max wsize is two inches and they have won the guinness record fro slowest fish which iw 5 feet per hour. I wouldnt have them in the tank unless you have like a 3 gallon or less tank, no flow, and minimal fish. The good thing about the sea horse I have (ingens) is that they are very skinny but can grow to be 10 inches so they are much more fish tank compatible than a dwarf. Other seahorses are also, im just talking about mine though!

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. E Wrasse has given some pretty good information! If you are keeping Seahorses, the most important thing I want to point out, is to get them CAPTIVE BRED (seahorsesource, seahorse corral, etc). Wild caught often carry parasites and various diseases. Another important thing is to RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Seahorses have very specific needs that are not often met by those who buy on a whim. Most seahorses, aside from Dwarves (which are difficult to keep... they require multiple feeds [daily] of newly hatched baby brine), require 15g per seahorse. I used to keep 1 pair in a 30g to themselves. There are fish, like Bangaii Cardinals, various Gobies, etc. that will fare well with them.

Corals are hit or miss. I would not put anything aside from Zoanthids, chalices, various Gorgonians, and some softies in the tank with them. Frogspawn, hammers, anemones, acans, acros, etc. are not good choices. They either sting, or require a completely different environment from what Seahorses require.

Check out seahorse.org for great information.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. E Wrasse has given some pretty good information! If you are keeping Seahorses, the most important thing I want to point out, is to get them CAPTIVE BRED (seahorsesource, seahorse corral, etc). Wild caught often carry parasites and various diseases. Another important thing is to RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Seahorses have very specific needs that are not often met by those who buy on a whim. Most seahorses, aside from Dwarves (which are difficult to keep... they require multiple feeds [daily] of newly hatched baby brine), require 15g per seahorse. I used to keep 1 pair in a 30g to themselves. There are fish, like Bangaii Cardinals, various Gobies, etc. that will fare well with them.

Corals are hit or miss. I would not put anything aside from Zoanthids, chalices, various Gorgonians, and some softies in the tank with them. Frogspawn, hammers, anemones, acans, acros, etc. are not good choices. They either sting, or require a completely different environment from what Seahorses require.

Check out seahorse.org for great information.

Thanks Brooksreef! Yeah, I would not by any means call my conditions perfect for seahorse. I have a good amount of flow which my sea horse has discovered everyonce in awhile when he swims into it lol. I was a little skeptical about buying the hammer but I have had it for close to as long as ive had my seahorse and he doesnt seem to be bothered by it. That is my only coral I would call with caution but im sure others have had bad experiences

And amazingreefs, I didnt have the best luck keeping acan lords, bowrbankis, and things of that nature but if you really want some form of acan go with echinatas. They are similar in structure to chalices so theres nothing really for the sea horse to irritate or grab hold of. Just kind of skims over.

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have for the seahorses?

Catalina gobies are very compatible with larger seahorses. I would not recommend them with dwarf seahorses.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back