Seaklear question

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the right stuff for tanks? I see the commercial one and this one but I need to know if this works

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also If anyone has any sort of suggestions to improve how I will dose it that would be good

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SDS doesn't make it clear what other ingredients are in it besides lanthanum, hence I cannot say about its suitability except if enough folks say they have used it with no apparent issue.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't recommend that stuff. As the king of chemistry (RHF) has pointed out, it is for swimming pools and as such, may not have as stringent quality control in terms of what is in it.

I have used both of these with identical results and no problems.

In terms of directions I would first get a calculator to calculate how much phos drop you will get per ML. The bottle is listed as X ml will drop 1 ppm... which is a HUGE drop.

Take it slow. In terms of specific directions, many people dose in a 50 micron filter sock or near their skimmer outlet so that the bound phosphate gets removed but I have not bothered doing that, you will see a cloud of bound phosphate when you dose it.

Lastly, if you are dealing with really high phos numbers from leaching rocks, you can use a dosing pump to meter it out during the day and keep the number low and stable. I have a TON of live rock, so much that the average 24 hour phos jump is 0.23 ppm. After I knocked it down, I have been dosing 8ml a day keeps the phos around 0.07. That is 8ml on an 800 gallon system with 300-400 lbs of live rock to give you an idea of how potent this stuff is.

Cheers.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't recommend that stuff. As the king of chemistry (RHF) has pointed out, it is for swimming pools and as such, may not have as stringent quality control in terms of what is in it.

I have used both of these with identical results and no problems.

In terms of directions I would first get a calculator to calculate how much phos drop you will get per ML. The bottle is listed as X ml will drop 1 ppm... which is a HUGE drop.

Take it slow. In terms of specific directions, many people dose in a 50 micron filter sock or near their skimmer outlet so that the bound phosphate gets removed but I have not bothered doing that, you will see a cloud of bound phosphate when you dose it.

Lastly, if you are dealing with really high phos numbers from leaching rocks, you can use a dosing pump to meter it out during the day and keep the number low and stable. I have a TON of live rock, so much that the average 24 hour phos jump is 0.23 ppm. After I knocked it down, I have been dosing 8ml a day keeps the phos around 0.07. That is 8ml on an 800 gallon system with 300-400 lbs of live rock to give you an idea of how potent this stuff is.

Cheers.

These aquarium phosphate related products must be somewhat diluted. I have a 300+ gallon and use 6ml of the SeaKlear a quarter. 6ml drops the phosphate from about 0.5 ppm to 0.1 ppm for a 300 gallon aquarium + sump. I like it keep it about 0.1 ppm.

I have used SeaKlear for years and experienced no issue. I started dripping into a 5 micron sock but I tried it a few times to see what happens without and no issue either. The adverse effect most reported previously was irritation to tangs but I haven't noticed that. I still recommend a 5 micron sock as better be safe than sorry.

These products are so cheap, relatively speaking, that you can't go wrong whichever you decide to buy. I bought my SeaKlear 3+ years ago and I still have about 90% of it left. And the best thing about these products is that they work really well.

Not sure if it is different than the OP but I use this one.

1604080082283.png

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I am still a litttle undecided as to which to use. Just for reference, we have used 500ml of elimini phos rapid from tropic marin (already went down 13ppm phosphate and yes I know that is insane). Thankfully the biopellet reactor has been keeping nitrates down. The system runs copper (copper power) so this is why I am looking into lanthanum chloride. The problem is how diluted the ones for aquariums are, which makes them more costly.

Last edited:

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These aquarium phosphate related products must be somewhat diluted. I have a 300+ gallon and use 6ml of the SeaKlear a quarter. 6ml drops the phosphate from about 0.5 ppm to 0.1 ppm for a 300 gallon aquarium + sump. I like it keep it about 0.1 ppm.

I have used SeaKlear for years and experienced no issue. I started dripping into a 5 micron sock but I tried it a few times to see what happens without and no issue either. The adverse effect most reported previously was irritation to tangs but I haven't noticed that. I still recommend a 5 micron sock as better be safe than sorry.

These products are so cheap, relatively speaking, that you can't go wrong whichever you decide to buy. I bought my SeaKlear 3+ years ago and I still have about 90% of it left. And the best thing about these products is that they work really well.

Not sure if it is different than the OP but I use this one.

1604080082283.png
I'm glad to see you are using the same bottle as the one I just received.

I was wondering if the formulation or just the labeling changed...

Old one I use on the left... new one on the right.

Sea Klear customer service says its the same strength/formula as the old.
image0.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back