Sealing pvc threads

clownfish.mike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already searched for similar threads but the issue is I ordered the Plasto Joint Stik on Amazon as recommended by others. Others said it was potable water safe and non-toxic. However after receiving the product it says it is for non-potable water applications only. Is it still safe to use? I have a threaded pvc fitting on a threaded bulkhead (main drain).

Thanks

IMG_0859.jpeg

IMG_0857.jpeg

IMG_0858.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teflon paste- thin layer posses no threat ime.

Or

Made for home drinking water supply use.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, don't use Teflon tape. The tape could cause the joint to crack from being too tight....this right from the association overseeing PVC pipes (I can't remember their name).

Use a pipe dope specifically made for PVC pipe fittings. Here's the stuff I use right from HD.

1711472352686.png

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few different threads here on the pro, and cons, of using both thread sealant and teflon tape. Both work perfectly fine with used correctly.

Dealers, er, hobbyist, choice and preference.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, don't use Teflon tape. The tape could cause the joint to crack from being too tight....this right from the association overseeing PVC pipes (I can't remember their name).

Use a pipe dope specifically made for PVC pipe fittings. Here's the stuff I use right from HD.

1711472352686.png
Tape is fine, approved (and in many jurisdictions REQUIRED by building code). There is typical boilerplate being copied from one site to the next as PVC do/don't gospel.

Too many wraps it will create a problem, but not so much because it makes the pipe "bigger" it adds a high degree of lubricity and allows the ALREADY WEDGE SHAPED NPT threads to engage too far.

I wish this "industry standard" misinformation would stop being propagated.

Often times with CHEAP poorly cast PVC (LASCO, and other big box store crap) PTFE paste alone is not enough and a wrap or two of tape UNDER the PTFE paste is required to make a water tight seal with minimum engagement (stress).

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape is fine, approved (and in many jurisdictions REQUIRED by building code). There is typical boilerplate being copied from one site to the next as PVC do/don't gospel.

Too many wraps it will create a problem, but not so much because it makes the pipe "bigger" it adds a high degree of lubricity and allows the ALREADY WEDGE SHAPED NPT threads to engage too far.

I wish this "industry standard" misinformation would stop being propagated.

Often times with CHEAP poorly cast PVC (LASCO, and other big box store crap) PTFE paste alone is not enough and a wrap or two of tape UNDER the PTFE paste is required to make a water tight seal with minimum engagement (stress).
Yup.
The problem with plumbing is that it is an art to get poorly formed plastic tubes and fittings, and threads to assemble so that they hold water, without excess stress in the fittings to cause a failure later.

I have learned to hate plumbing because of the poor quality of fittings and fixtures that are available.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup.
The problem with plumbing is that it is an art to get poorly formed plastic tubes and fittings, and threads to assemble so that they hold water, without excess stress in the fittings to cause a failure later.

I have learned to hate plumbing because of the poor quality of fittings and fixtures that are available.
If you stick with Hayward, Spears, and the like you will not have these problems. The fittings come at a premium, but the tolerances and threads are exponentially more accurate.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly when something like this says non-potable it’s usually because the manufacturer has not bothered to pay to have it qualified. Same thing with flex PVC. It’s listed as non-potable. It works fine with reef tanks.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it comes down to if I’m going to have to remove a threaded fitting or not down the road. As mentioned above I’ve used both and they both work perfectly fine but if I’m using pipe dope I don’t plan on having to ever get that fitting apart because it’s a royal pain in the you know what. Teflon has always worked fine for me over the last 15 years and never had issues with leaking or anything else.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it comes down to if I’m going to have to remove a threaded fitting or not down the road. As mentioned above I’ve used both and they both work perfectly fine but if I’m using pipe dope I don’t plan on having to ever get that fitting apart because it’s a royal pain in the you know what. Teflon has always worked fine for me over the last 15 years and never had issues with leaking or anything else.
PTFE paste is non hardening.

Most hardening “pipe dope” type products would not be reef safe anyway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back