Seamonster’s 120 gallon build thread

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I hope everyone and their oceans in a box are doing well! This is my first build thread. I am starting over after a system crash so now is the perfect time to keep me motivated and to show you what ive done so far...
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
91f507630346913d86ea3a3bba2dcd9f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain’t looking bad my friend.
Tell us a bit more about this system!

Thanks! Well this tank is actually going on 5 years old. After dealing with phosphate issues, algae problems, heater issues i came to a general conclusion. My mistake is that i started out mostly with dry rock. I had live rock from a previous, smaller system and i was prepared to get more live rock for this one. I had barely even heard of starting a system with dead, dry rock but it is way cheaper and there are no pests. Also at that time i had less money to start with so i had to go the cheapest route. So i used old sand and new live sand plus the dry and live rock. Since then i have had weird stuff go on that i had never experienced with an all live rock system. Weird stuff is finally winding down....I think after all the crap ive been through this system is finally coming around. Stay tuned! [emoji41][emoji106]

OP
OP
S

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Well this tank is actually going on 5 years old. After dealing with phosphate issues, algae problems, heater issues i came to a general conclusion. My mistake is that i started out mostly with dry rock. I had live rock from a previous, smaller system and i was prepared to get more live rock for this one. I had barely even heard of starting a system with dead, dry rock but it is way cheaper and there are no pests. Also at that time i had less money to start with so i had to go the cheapest route. So i used old sand and new live sand plus the dry and live rock. Since then i have had weird stuff go on that i had never experienced with an all live rock system. Weird stuff is finally winding down....I think after all the crap ive been through this system is finally coming around. Stay tuned! [emoji41][emoji106]

Oh...and a cheap, underpowered heater. I thought that since i live in so cal, that wouldnt be a problem...heater ****** up finslly and wiped out a powder blue tang that i had for over 3 years, among my other fish and acros. Heater wouldnt turn off and water was hot! Most of my corals bleached out! Never again!! Today i have a titanium heater that is rated for 200 gallons ( i think) that is way overpriced! Lol!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...and a cheap, underpowered heater. I thought that since i live in so cal, that wouldnt be a problem...heater ****** up finslly and wiped out a powder blue tang that i had for over 3 years, among my other fish and acros. Heater wouldnt turn off and water was hot! Most of my corals bleached out! Never again!! Today i have a titanium heater that is rated for 200 gallons ( i think) that is way overpriced! Lol!

Nice tank! Heaters, oh yes...... I'm not a reef controller user, but I do think that using a heater controller is one tool that all reefers should use.

After years of not having one, alot of research and limited funds, I decided on a Inkbird itc 308. It's very reliable, accurate once calibrated and relatively cheap, around $30. Heaters failing are a real potential problem, as you already know.

OP
OP
S

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Heaters, oh yes...... I'm not a reef controller user, but I do think that using a heater controller is one tool that all reefers should use.

After years of not having one, alot of research and limited funds, I decided on a Inkbird itc 308. It's very reliable, accurate once calibrated and relatively cheap, around $30. Heaters failing are a real potential problem, as you already know.

Ya they are.. im considering getting a controller too so it doesnt happen again.. ive been reefing for 15 years or do and a heater failure has never happened until 2 years ago... I’m constantly looking to see if the geater is on in this hot weather.. its set at 78 so it hasnt turned on at all for a couple of months...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 168 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back