Sean's Reefer 250 Build / Great CL find

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Let me know any tips on keeping Cheato in a cooler for a few days*

Had to sell my tank 2 years ago when we bought a new home and did a major remodel. I have been stressed out with work and the wife gave the thumbs up so I jumped at the chance. We have two young boys and I know they will go crazy for a sweet reef tank. I'll never forget being a little kid and seeing a salt water tank in a fish store for the first time. I was AMAZED.

Found a great deal on craigslist, super nice guy who lives 2 hours away in San Francisco. My wife liked the white stand and it was a bigger tank than I thought she would go for! Seller was a really nice guy / looked like is a successful tech guy. I think he took my offer because I promised to show up on time and with 15 $100 bills. I am really happy with everything.

Got all this for $1,500:
- Red Sea Reefer 250 alittle over a year old it was BB / super clean
- 2 Hydra 26 HD LED Lights with stands.
- XF230 Gyre Pumps with controller
- Omega 130 Protein Skimmer
- BRS 5" Mini Reactor with MJ1200 Pump
- Kessil H80 Light and stand
- Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
- Sump Return Pump (and 2 other pumps)
- 3 Water Heaters
- Misc: 5 gallon water jugs, GFO/carbon
- 4 stage RO/DI and extra cartridge
- Water test kits

Jumped out of bed at 6:15am on a Saturday to try and get in and out of SF before traffic got bad. Loaded everything up and got home 6 hours later. Everything is in amazing condition, except one small issue. Ha the RO/DI filter needs to be replaced so its super slow....Ordered replacements and now just cleaning and waiting....

The day before I left I cleaned my cooler really well / fished with a good white vinegar scrub. Ha the only thing I have had in there besides beer are crabs from going crabbing! Now the cheato is in there with some live rock and good blocks from the prior up and running system. I added a heater and pump for circulation. It has been in there for 24 hours.
IMG_8393.PNG
IMG_8395.PNG
IMG_8396.PNG
IMG_8397.PNG
IMG_8398.PNG

IMG_12468AEE0ADB-1.jpeg

Anyway, so glad to to be back in the hobby! I have been in the hobby for about 10 years but before all this cool technology. Your tips and advice are greatly appreciated! Cheers! Sean

Last edited:

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find, good luck on your build. My wife and I are actually in the planning process for a 750xxl. I see you have little ones as do I, I saw these on someone else's build this evening. You may try them to secure the cabinet doors. Goid luck!!!

Screenshot_20190317-224500_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny - the tank came with those too!!! Ha see, it was a great deal. I look forward to watching your 750 build!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that all looks great Sean and keep the pictures coming

And welcome to R2R as well, it’s good to have you with us

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I forgot how much work it is making salt water / filling up a tank!!! 48 hours or work my goodness my back!!! Anyway, tank is running now for about 2 days....I haven't moved the cheato into the sump yet, will take care of that soon. Did my first water test. My wife thinks ammonia is .5 but I think closer to .25 : ) Any advice on signs to see if I was able to keep the cheato alive / keep the good bacteria when I moved the tank? Cheers!

ph 8.0
ammonia .25-.5
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

IMG_1085C698F375-1.jpeg

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny - before setting up a tank, while reading build threads i'd always think, "what's taking so long to post an update?!?!" Ha not only is it a lot of work, but then you have to find the time to post!

Have been setting the tank up in stages and am all done. Finally had the time to set it up correctly with ATO. I need to build a shelf, any advice is appreciated! That and my cord management is currently terrible...

Now I just wait for the algae to attack....I'll aquascape in a few weeks. Happy Friday!

IMG_8702.PNG

IMG_8700.PNG

IMG_8701.PNG

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When will you add livestock?

I put one damsels in and my son loves it. I am going to take it slow and maybe wait a few more weeks for my system to balance out. I am not turning the lights on much to try and keep algae down. Patches are popping up in the sand now.

ph 8
ammonia .25
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SicZ06 How do you like those child safety locks? Is the adhesive strong enough? I'm planning on getting ones with screws just to be sure.
Sadly I don't have an answer for you, haven't been using them but I should start. We have a gate that keeps the kids in the living room. Posting more soon with pic to show you what im taking about.

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the questions - you make me feel cool! While I have been terrible at posting, I have been on R2R often and this is an awesome community. ( I also love BRS TV) I started my own business and haven't had time to post. I'm a lucky guy both the business and tank have been going well. Here is where I'm at - First, I transported an 18 month old 90 minutes away. No close how much of the good bacteria I saved from the 2 small pieces of LR and 3 bio blocks. 6 months in since setting the tank up at my house here is where I'm at -

-skimmer is dialed in. Wow I forgot how you need to completely understand your gear
- BRS carbon reactor
-Been doing some orders from algae barn. After doing some research, I know I have a very small fuge, but keep the Kessil on from about 7am-9pm. Hope it helps. I havent done an Algae barn pod pod order in like 2 months. During cleaning the sump I saw one swimming, so hope they are doing ok.
-2 clowns and a shrimp.
- I have the following test kits : Hannah Alk, RS Calcium, API = pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
- I've been enjoying zoas, polys, a hammer, some favia and a blasto.

ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
Alk 7.1
cal 350 (I need to practice more, not sure if I am doing this 100% correct)

QUESTIONS -

1. tips for cord management? I need to do a DYI job and have the cords stick somewhere inside my redsea cabinet.

2. I am researching kalk and tropic marine all in one. If I do kalk, I need to make room for a small doser. Any you like / easy to fit in a small space? So, tropic marine all in one for now. Haven't started yet, i've been adding kent marine purple tech to help get coralline algae growing. I think it will look much better than the thin layer of slime : ) I recently scrapped some off the rocks that came on the tank and put on my reef saver rock.

3.What other test kits should I buy? (you're advice for brand and what to test) I want an easier tank with just LPS and softies.

4. I need to reattach some rock to make it alittle safer. I was not a fan of putty making the skimmer go crazy. Thoughts on using some brs frag super glue?

5. What coral recos do you have? I want my tank to be set up for the long term / ULM and don't want things like GSP that would cover everything.

6. I can't tell if my favia is doing well - any tips? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_DC53B8E37F09-1.jpeg IMG_2B06E8949428-1.jpeg IMG_B9F202C39394-1.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the questions - you make me feel cool! While I have been terrible at posting, I have been on R2R often and this is an awesome community. ( I also love BRS TV) I started my own business and haven't had time to post. I'm a lucky guy both the business and tank have been going well. Here is where I'm at - First, I transported an 18 month old 90 minutes away. No close how much of the good bacteria I saved from the 2 small pieces of LR and 3 bio blocks. 6 months in since setting the tank up at my house here is where I'm at -

-skimmer is dialed in. Wow I forgot how you need to completely understand your gear
- BRS carbon reactor
-Been doing some orders from algae barn. After doing some research, I know I have a very small fuge, but keep the Kessil on from about 7am-9pm. Hope it helps. I havent done an Algae barn pod pod order in like 2 months. During cleaning the sump I saw one swimming, so hope they are doing ok.
-2 clowns and a shrimp.
- I have the following test kits : Hannah Alk, RS Calcium, API = pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
- I've been enjoying zoas, polys, a hammer, some favia and a blasto.

ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
Alk 7.1
cal 350 (I need to practice more, not sure if I am doing this 100% correct)

QUESTIONS -

1. tips for cord management? I need to do a DYI job and have the cords stick somewhere inside my redsea cabinet.

2. I am researching kalk and tropic marine all in one. If I do kalk, I need to make room for a small doser. Any you like / easy to fit in a small space? So, tropic marine all in one for now. Haven't started yet, i've been adding kent marine purple tech to help get coralline algae growing. I think it will look much better than the thin layer of slime : ) I recently scrapped some off the rocks that came on the tank and put on my reef saver rock.

3.What other test kits should I buy? (you're advice for brand and what to test) I want an easier tank with just LPS and softies.

4. I need to reattach some rock to make it alittle safer. I was not a fan of putty making the skimmer go crazy. Thoughts on using some brs frag super glue?

5. What coral recos do you have? I want my tank to be set up for the long term / ULM and don't want things like GSP that would cover everything.

6. I can't tell if my favia is doing well - any tips? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_DC53B8E37F09-1.jpeg IMG_2B06E8949428-1.jpeg IMG_B9F202C39394-1.jpeg
I'll try to answer some of your questions:
  1. This is what I use for mounting electronics, a little spendy but works really well. Cheaper than buying the tools to DIY one: https://www.marinedepot.com/standar...ILKdsfkAAbUXNWQmQzY7zrjZeusNgCIhoCit4QAvD_BwE
  2. Don't know much about All-in-one. Problem is everything is added in a fixed ratio. Can't adjust one single ingredient at a time. Have to adjust all at once.
  3. Looks like you have everything but phosphate. Hanna makes a good one.
  4. Super glue does the same thing to skimmer. Just shut off skimmer for 2-3 days. Skimmer will catch up in work in no time.
  5. Only thing I can tell you here is research.
  6. Target feed and see if you get polyp extension.

OP
OP
SicZ06

SicZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally did something about my sump. Really happy with how it turned out but sadly It's the best part of my tank....

I needed to add more biological filtration so I added more sand and reef saver rock. (it cycled for a month before I added it - hopefully that is enough...) I hope to do more work on the tank tomorrow.

IMG_4B41E2A45CC8-1.jpeg IMG_4B41E2A45CC8-1.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back