Sebae anemone care?

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon mixed reef tank and I am interested in trying to keep a sebae anemone. I heard that they require high lighting (currently using radions) and a stable aquarium. I am waiting for a couple more months so that my aquarium can reach the 1 year mark and I can research about it a little more. Has anyone kept them successfully? If so, what are your tips and tricks? Thanks!

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for almost 18 years in my 58 gallon reef. It was under 250w MH light for a long time but switched to LED's (180w 15k Maxspect Razor) about 3 years ago. The anemone was larger under the MH light, but seems fine under the LED's. The size difference could also be from me feeding it less (and smaller) food over the years. I used to feed it whole krill and silversides but no longer do that. I feed a mix of frozen mysis, brine shrimp, and other frozen foods to the tank and it catches pieces of that. I also occasionally squirt some directly into it with the turkey baster.

It is a male, it has attempted to spawn twice and turned the tank an almost opaque white both times. It cleared after several hours with no ill effects. It lives in the rockwork and may have its foot in the sand under the rocks but it is hard to say for sure. It wandered a little one time unexpectedly and I did lose corals. It went back to it's original home after a few months and has stayed ever since. There is fairly decent flow in the tank and it's tentacles are being blown around by the current most of the time by 2 mp 10's, usually running at about 90% on reef crest setting. It hosted a breeding pair of gold stripe maroon clowns for about 3 years, but they died when a heater got broken. It has been home to a breeding pair of occelaris clowns since 2006. Here's a couple of shots from over the years. Good luck with yours if you decide to get one.

IMG_1310 by Randall Douglas, on Flickr

DSC00171 by Randall Douglas, on Flickr

clowns spawning by Randall Douglas, on Flickr

FTS 05 1-13-15 by Randall Douglas, on Flickr

OP
OP
M

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for almost 18 years in my 58 gallon reef. It was under 250w MH light for a long time but switched to LED's (180w 15k Maxspect Razor) about 3 years ago. The anemone was larger under the MH light, but seems fine under the LED's. The size difference could also be from me feeding it less (and smaller) food over the years. I used to feed it whole krill and silversides but no longer do that. I feed a mix of frozen mysis, brine shrimp, and other frozen foods to the tank and it catches pieces of that. I also occasionally squirt some directly into it with the turkey baster.

It is a male, it has attempted to spawn twice and turned the tank an almost opaque white both times. It cleared after several hours with no ill effects. It lives in the rockwork and may have its foot in the sand under the rocks but it is hard to say for sure. It wandered a little one time unexpectedly and I did lose corals. It went back to it's original home after a few months and has stayed ever since. There is fairly decent flow in the tank and it's tentacles are being blown around by the current most of the time by 2 mp 10's, usually running at about 90% on reef crest setting. It hosted a breeding pair of gold stripe maroon clowns for about 3 years, but they died when a heater got broken. It has been home to a breeding pair of occelaris clowns since 2006. Here's a couple of shots from over the years. Good luck with yours if you decide to get one.

First of all, that is one beautiful reef tank and I hoped to accomplish something like that one day.

Second, is feeding them a big part in keeping them healthy?

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

18 years! I’m getting ready to get a H. Malu. I might have to put a few things in my will. Lol

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought mine it was common that they would come in bleached – that is they would be all white with purple tips. At that point they have no algae living in them so they definitely need to be fed. Once they color up to their normal pink or tan color feeding is not as important but still a good idea in my opinion. I’ve read several articles that say large chunks of food are not great for them. However I never noticed any ill effects from feeding it a whole krill or silver sides. When I had the gold stripe maroons the female would always swim up to my fingers and take a chunk of food and feed the anemone herself before she ate anything.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a sebae for may years. Easier than the magnifica, and less likely to go wandering. Needs high light, but not crazy flow like the mag. Also less likely to arrive infected. Just design a good spot for it, assuming it will grow rapidly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back