Sebae Anemone Trouble

ssgarrett34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so we just got a Sebae Anemone for our salt water tank on Saturday. It had some trouble putting its foot down at first and i helped guide it into the sand to put its foot down. It finally settled into the sand against a piece of live rock Sunday evening/night. Now it looks deflated and almost melting? Like the tentacles are melting off and the mouth is flat. I can attach pictures if needed but I don't want to give up on the little guy if there's something I can do to save him.

Thank you for any advice!!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics would be super helpful. From the sounds of it, it doesn't sound too good. A pic would help me determine the best course of action.

OP
OP
S

ssgarrett34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks so sad.

20190820_165055.jpg

OCD_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On occasion anemones will shrivel up and expel most of the fluid inside of them and re-inflate. How old is your tank? if its a newer tank (less than 6 months old) I would chalk it up to the tank still not being mature. If your tank is a mature reef tank than I would look at your parameter and test for anything that would be out of the normal reef tank specification. What did the anemone look like when you purchased it any signs of bleaching, torn foot, or conditions of the tank it came out of (was the tank that it came out of healthy looking)? Pictures would be the best bet to get a more clear idea of how it looks and health.

OCD_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the picture that will not make it unfortunately. Wish it could have been a different outcome for you and the anemone. Also i would remove that ASAP before it decomposes and starts to foul the water anymore. Use a bag of carbon, chemipure elite, or poly filter to remove any toxins it has released and perform a water change on the tank. IMO

OP
OP
S

ssgarrett34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank is over a year old and the parameters are within target range. We have had a clownfish in it by himself for several months. And I'm always doing water changes and things like that to keep it healthy. I had an anemone over a year ago and he unfortunately decided to climb into the fan and got destroyed.. so I waited quite awhile before attempting this again. I'm not really sure what I could have done differently to keep the guy alive. He is too far gone to survive I'm assuming? I tried target feeding him yesterday and he was already beginning to shrivel up like now.

OP
OP
S

ssgarrett34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank he came from looked clear and healthy.. he was a bit bleached but had his purple color tentacles out. This is what he looked like when we placed him in that evening.

20190818_175543.jpg

OCD_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parameters are you testing for and what were the last values tested? If you don't mind me asking. It does look bleached out to start with and shriveled, so stressing it out by moving to a new tank could be part of the issue.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks completely bleached. Unfortunately, I rarely see sebae nems come back from this condition.

OP
OP
S

ssgarrett34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for your answers! I think i'm going to hold off till i find a healthy anemone that isn't bleached and ensure that I test the water that it comes in also before acclimating him into my tank. Also, i do have one clownfish. What does it take to get them to host an anemone? He is a captive bred instead of wild caught.

OCD_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for your answers! I think i'm going to hold off till i find a healthy anemone that isn't bleached and ensure that I test the water that it comes in also before acclimating him into my tank. Also, i do have one clownfish. What does it take to get them to host an anemone? He is a captive bred instead of wild caught.

You don't need to do anything special to get a clown fish to host. Just put them in the same tank and wait for it. Sometimes its instantly and sometimes it takes months to get it to host. Captive bred clowns are more hesitant to host but eventually most will.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back