Second day parameters. What ya think?

lagnew904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran tank 24 prior to starting cycle with just sand, rock, and saltwater. Started cycle Monday 9-27-2021 using 18lbs dry rock and 20lbs Carib sea live sand. Using Dr. Tim's fishless cycle and dosed half ammonia as suggested since using live sand. Lights remain off so far.

PH was 8.1 when tested salt water after mixing. Salinity has held steady at 1.026 35PPT. Unfortunately I forgot to test DKH on salt mix. Parameters are as follows all using red sea test kit except for the DKH.

What ya think? Typical for DKH and pH to fall after 24 hours into cycle? Time of testing was almost exactly 24 hours from start. 1900 hours.

Edit: DKH is nominal. Had a brain fart for a minute and forgot tropic Marin pro reef salt is lower than most.

PH 7.6
akalinity 7.2 DKH (Hanna)
NH3/NH4 ammonia 1.2 - 2.0 (1.5)
No3 nitrate 2 - 5 (3)
NO2 Nitrite 0.1
salinity 1.26 - 35 ppt
temp 77.5

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph closely follows ambient co2 levels, are your windows open?
Are you running ac?

OP
OP
lagnew904

lagnew904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph closely follows ambient co2 levels, are your windows open?
Are you running ac?
Living in Florida the AC runs quite frequently and air travels towards the tank but not overly aggressive. Open too right now as I'm waiting for the mesh lid to come in.

Windows don't get opened often. Is it worth grabbing a CO2 meter off Amazon and getting some readings?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Florida the AC runs quite frequently and air travels towards the tank but not overly aggressive. Open too right now as I'm waiting for the mesh lid to come in.

Windows don't get opened often. Is it worth grabbing a CO2 meter off Amazon and getting some readings?
Wait for a cool night and open the window for a test. The ph should rise above 8.
I have an air meter and it's made me anxious when the ac is on due to co2 levels.
uHoo Smart Air Quality Sensor – 9 in 1 Indoor Air Monitor with Temperature and Humidity Gauge, CO2, Dust (PM2.5), VOC, NO2, Allergen Meter -to Breathe Easy and Boost Health with App

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to run the air line from your skimmer to outside? That might be cheaper then buying a monitor and should tell you if it is a c02 issue. A co2 scrubber might be cheaper than monitor as well. I think a c02 monitor would be cool but I have a million gadgets that I thought would be helpful when I should have just tried an open window haha.

OP
OP
lagnew904

lagnew904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to run the air line from your skimmer to outside? That might be cheaper then buying a monitor and should tell you if it is a c02 issue. A co2 scrubber might be cheaper than monitor as well. I think a c02 monitor would be cool but I have a million gadgets that I thought would be helpful when I should have just tried an open window haha.
I'm not running a skimmer. Just felt filter sock (removed for first 48hours of cycle) and the sand, rock, media balls.

Was looking into a skimmer but decided to hold up a week or two since I have a few weeks before fish go in.

Back