Second hand pukani curing

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my 120G tank a couple of years ago with Marco rock exclusively but I recently had the luck to get some pukani handed down to me from a reefer getting out of the hobby.
I am planning on redoing some of my aquascape to have a better setup to start adding some coral and I would love to add some of that pukani.

I cannot find any information on whether the curing process should be the same for rock that has been in a reef tank for many years or newly bought rock.

Important to know:
- they were in a tank for ~10 years
- they have been dried for a few months so they do not have anymore of their live-rock benefits
- they were drying out in a plastic bin under the sun for a couple of months since tank was taken down
- I want to play it safe and do not assume this was coming from a healthy tank

Do I still need to worry about PO leeching like I would from rocks coming straight from the ocean?
Do I need to worry about possible disease or creatures that were in the previous owner's tank?
Can I just bath in bleach, rince in RO water and then dry in the sun for a few weeks? Is it safe enough?

Thank you

Ben

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anything still be viable?
Cure with new saltwater for a few weeks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would do. Bleach them, RO rinse, fully dry, and good to go.

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience at all with live rock (or used-to-be live rock) so I am just guessing but it would surprise me if anything was still alive in there after so many weeks being dry.

I guess I'll soak in SW, test the water to make sure it's not leeching anything nasty and then add one of my small rocks from my display tank to kickstart the process.

Does that sound reasonable?

Back