Second New DIY Two Part Recipe with Higher pH Boost

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recipes got by weight, and I also provide cup based measurements for ease of use, even though it may not be super accurate across brands with slightly different dry powder density.

The magnesium part is dosed at 610 mL per gallon of the alk part, so that works out to 610: 3785 or 1:6.2

Thus, if you want to dose 1:1:1, the magnesium part should be diluted more (take 1 part of the usual recipe and 5.2 parts water and it will diluted properly for 1:1;1.
Does that magnesium dilution apply to recipe #1 for a 1:1:1 dose? I'm using brs 2 part maintenance magnesium which is 5 1/4cups magnesium chloride and 2cups magnesium sulfate to 1 gallon.

I have it dosing daily but with the uncertainty, on the calculations I am testing to frequently, and I know "mag tests" just gets you in the parking lot of the ball park but I'd love to have a 1:1:1 dose for that I'd be able to cross magnesium of my thinking list.

Am I reading that correctly or just thinking that? Thank you

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that magnesium dilution apply to recipe #1 for a 1:1:1 dose? I'm using brs 2 part maintenance magnesium which is 5 1/4cups magnesium chloride and 2cups magnesium sulfate to 1 gallon.

I have it dosing daily but with the uncertainty, on the calculations I am testing to frequently, and I know "mag tests" just gets you in the parking lot of the ball park but I'd love to have a 1:1:1 dose for that I'd be able to cross magnesium of my thinking list.

Am I reading that correctly or just thinking that? Thank you

That is what the purpose of the calculation was, yes. Dilute the mag part for 1:1:1 dosing.

I will remind folks that magnesium need not be on a doser or dosed frequently at all. It's decline is trivially small on a day to day basis.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what the purpose of the calculation was, yes. Dilute the mag part for 1:1:1 dosing.

I will remind folks that magnesium need not be on a doser or dosed frequently at all. It's decline is trivially small on a day to day basis.
I know and I've seen you say that before, its just easily forgotten for me to manually add when I get to a gallon of the 2 part, I sometimes forget to add mag, or add it to soon.

Thank you for your response again about it

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know and I've seen you say that before, its just easily forgotten for me to manually add when I get to a gallon of the 2 part, I sometimes forget to add mag, or add it to soon.

Thank you for your response again about it

you're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

Chrisanthellae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using this recipe for a few weeks now and I'm starting to have significant precipitation issues, but I don't really understand why. There is a dusting of sand-like precipitation all over pumps, inside my carbon reactor (nearly clogging it!), bottom of the sump, and on the weir of the overflow box. It seems to be happening anywhere there is high flow, not just where there is excess heat. I dose small amounts hourly over the output of my carbon reactor to disperse it prior to entering the return pump. Cal/Alk are 30 minutes apart.

Parameters:
  • pH: 8.15 (+/- 0.4, Pinpoint monitor)
  • Alk: 7.4 (Salifert), 7 (API)
  • Calcium: 400 (API)
  • Mag: 1540 (Salifert)
  • Temperature: 76-77
As you can see, I already have elevated magnesium, my pH is very reasonable, and my cal/Alk are relatively low. I used to keep them around 460/10 with the soda ash recipe, but I'm having trouble raising them now. Despite these issues, my corals still look happier than they did before.

Are there any factors I might be missing?

Chrisanthellae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you recently calibrates the pH meter?
Is the alk solution mixing in quickly?

Yes, I bought the pinpoint brand new a couple weeks ago and calibrated with the included 7 & 10 packets. I even floated them in the tank first to equalize temperature.

I dose into the return chamber of my sump. The globs of magnesium hydroxide get broken up into smaller bits by the flow coming out of my carbon reactor, but those small bits do enter the return pump before fully dissolving. Nothing visible comes out the other end into the tank, and precipitation does not look any worse on the return pump than anywhere else in the system. In fact, the issue is most noticeable on the bottom of the skimmer chamber and all over the macro in my fuge.
IMG_20220319_165104.jpg
IMG_20220319_165137.jpg
IMG_20220319_165557.jpg
IMG_20220319_165759.jpg
IMG_20220319_165631.jpg

Is it possible that tiny crystals are precipitating while going through the pump, then growing and settling out throughout the system? I would have thought this unlikely given my parameters, especially the elevated magnesium, but I am open to relocating dosers / adding more flow / adding resistors to my dosers (jebao) to slow them down.

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi how do you work out how much tropic marin part c to dose along side you recipe? thanks

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi how do you work out how much tropic marin part c to dose along side you recipe? thanks
This recipe is identical to my other recipes, like that used by BRS. BRS does the calculations for you.

Tropic Marin Part C Dosing Amount - You will need to refer to your daily Soda Ash (alkalinity) dosing amount and multiply it by two. That will be your daily dosage for Tropic Marin Part C.

Example: If your tanks daily alkalinity dosage is 21.42mL, then you will need 42.84mL of Tropic Marin Part C Daily.

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This recipe is identical to my other recipes, like that used by BRS. BRS does the calculations for you.

Tropic Marin Part C Dosing Amount - You will need to refer to your daily Soda Ash (alkalinity) dosing amount and multiply it by two. That will be your daily dosage for Tropic Marin Part C.

Example: If your tanks daily alkalinity dosage is 21.42mL, then you will need 42.84mL of Tropic Marin Part C Daily.
i thought that, looking at the tropic marin balling your recipe looks 2x the potency. i assume its the same for NaOH? thinking the alk is the same just higher ph?
can i not double the part c strength and have the 1:1:1? never used it so not sure the solubility.
thanks Randy you are a big help:)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, I dose part c in equal amounts with alkalinity not double just because I never had an issue not using it before so its like an extra product for me and my containers are the same size and run out at the same time ...all that explaining so I sound rational, but what do you think is it even necessary in the first place and if not could dosing half the recommendation really do anything negative, or is it a waste of time if the full amount is not dosed?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I dose part c in equal amounts with alkalinity not double just because I never had an issue not using it before so its like an extra product for me and my containers are the same size and run out at the same time ...all that explaining so I sound rational, but what do you think is it even necessary in the first place and if not could dosing half the recommendation really do anything negative, or is it a waste of time if the full amount is not dosed?

I recommend the exact amount that BRS says. It is an improved formula, making it akin to Balling or ESV B-ionic, but with a higher pH boost than either of those.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought that, looking at the tropic marin balling your recipe looks 2x the potency. i assume its the same for NaOH? thinking the alk is the same just higher ph?
can i not double the part c strength and have the 1:1:1? never used it so not sure the solubility.
thanks Randy you are a big help:)

BRS soda ash recipe is their version of my baked baking soda recipe. The hydroxide recipe is identical in potency to both of those.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Randy Holmes-Farley i use the space saver jugs from brs for dosing containers and use a dosing pump with ro tubing attached. Do I need to worry about the solution destroying these materials/dosing pump since it’s so caustic?

What is the recycling code on the bottom of the jug?

RO tubing is often polyethylene, which is fine.

Justin Swinney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will have to check when I get home. They don’t have the material listed on the BRS website. What about its effects on the soft tubing in the dosing heads or even possibly an acrylic dosing container

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that tiny crystals are precipitating while going through the pump, then growing and settling out throughout the system? I would have thought this unlikely given my parameters, especially the elevated magnesium, but I am open to relocating dosers / adding more flow / adding resistors to my dosers (jebao) to slow them down.

That might be calcium carbonate precipitation.

One would not normally expect substantial precipitation if these are accurate, but perhaps the local pH is getting too high. Where are you measuring that pH?

Do you really mean +/- 0.4? It gets up to 8.55 and down to 7.75?

• pH: 8.15 (+/- 0.4, Pinpoint monitor)
  • Alk: 7.4 (Salifert), 7 (API)
  • Calcium: 400 (API)
  • Mag: 1540 (Salifert)
  • Temperature: 76-77

Back