Second New DIY Two Part Recipe with Higher pH Boost

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Randy, Two questions,1. (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (3 cups) 1cups=?grams 2. I saw that the BRS formula is the same as yours But can I use AF REEF MINERAL SALT instead of Tropic Marin's Part C??? If applicable, how much solution do I need to use? I plan to mix with AF concentration (25g 1000mL RO/DI) and use KH solution twice.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Randy, Two questions,1. (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (3 cups) 1cups=?grams 2. I saw that the BRS formula is the same as yours But can I use AF REEF MINERAL SALT instead of Tropic Marin's Part C??? If applicable, how much solution do I need to use? I plan to mix with AF concentration (25g 1000mL RO/DI) and use KH solution twice.

Assuming Aquaforest made it properly as they describe it, yes, you can use the AF product. You would not use my magnesium part if you do so (unless you are boosting low magnesium).

FWIW, neither AF mineral salt nor Balling Part C contain as much magnesium as my part 3 because they are not compensating for magnesium uptake by corals while my part 3 does.

As to amounts of the AF mineral salt solution, you'd use 236 mL of the AF mineral salt solution for each 100 mL of the alk part of my Recipe #1 or the hydroxide recipe given here.

The assumption I made in my recipe was that 64 ounces of Epsom salt occupied about 8 cups (I measured the material I found locally at CVS). Thus, 3 cups of dry Epsom salts in the recipe weighs about 227 grams.

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming Aquaforest made it properly as they describe it, yes, you can use the AF product. You would not use my magnesium part if you do so (unless you are boosting low magnesium).

FWIW, neither AF mineral salt nor Balling Part C contain as much magnesium as my part 3 because they are not compensating for magnesium uptake by corals while my part 3 does.

As to amounts of the AF mineral salt solution, you'd use 236 mL of the AF mineral salt solution for each 100 mL of the alk part of my Recipe #1 or the hydroxide recipe given here.

The assumption I made in my recipe was that 64 ounces of Epsom salt occupied about 8 cups (I measured the material I found locally at CVS). Thus, 3 cups of dry Epsom salts in the recipe weighs about 227 grams.
thx!

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I want to use AF MINERAL SALT to better maintain ionic balances. Now I understand that IF I can completely use your formula, I don't need to worry maintain ionic balances right?

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another question is, what is the strength of the alkalinity part? 100L 1dKH 18.8ML?
微信截图_20220408103832.png

I don't know if I'm doing the math right

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is based on BRS and Randy's recipe,

I want to use this formula. Is this formula feasible? (I couldn't get sodium hydroxide so I used sodium bicarbonate instead)

Alk part

Dissolve 297 grams of baking soda (about 1 1/8 cups) in enough water to make 1 gallon total+ Tropic Marin Pro Coral Trace A- 80ML
Calcium part

Dissolve 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate (such as Dowflake 77-80% calcium chloride or ESV calcium chloride; see below for substitutes and sources) in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume.+ Tropic Marin Pro Coral Trace K+ 80ml

Magnesium part

Dissolve Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups) =?grams

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is based on BRS and Randy's recipe,

I want to use this formula. Is this formula feasible? (I couldn't get sodium hydroxide so I used sodium bicarbonate instead)

Alk part

Dissolve 297 grams of baking soda (about 1 1/8 cups) in enough water to make 1 gallon total+ Tropic Marin Pro Coral Trace A- 80ML
Calcium part

Dissolve 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate (such as Dowflake 77-80% calcium chloride or ESV calcium chloride; see below for substitutes and sources) in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume.+ Tropic Marin Pro Coral Trace K+ 80ml

Magnesium part

Dissolve Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume
I'll use AF Mineral salt as my four parts to better maintain ionic balances

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use AF MINERAL SALT to better maintain ionic balances. Now I understand that IF I can completely use your formula, I don't need to worry maintain ionic balances right?

If you use sodium hydroxide/carbonate/bicarbonate and calcium chloride, and Tropic Marin Balling Part C or AF mineral Salt (presuming the latter is made as claimed), then no, you do not need to worry about chemical imbalances except those cause by other factors, such as uptake by organisms, etc.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups) =?grams

Roughly the same as Epsom salts. The recipe is designed assuming that 1 cup = 8 dry ounces or 227 g.

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use sodium hydroxide/carbonate/bicarbonate and calcium chloride, and Tropic Marin Balling Part C or AF mineral Salt (presuming the latter is made as claimed), then no, you do not need to worry about chemical imbalances except those cause by other factors, such as uptake by organisms, etc.
So now I just need to follow your recipe #2 and add the appropriate AF MINERAL SALT separately, right? How much AF MINERAL SALT do I need to add when I use recipe #2? My calculation is: Use 236 mL of the AF mineral salt solution for each 100 mL of the ALK part of my Recipe #1. Right? I'm a beginner and I don't know if I got that right. Looking forward to your reply ~

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly the same as Epsom salts. The recipe is designed assuming that 1 cup = 8 dry ounces or 227 g.
As I mentioned above, Can I add Tropic Marin Pro Coral Trace A-80ml and Tropic Marin Pro Coral Trace K+ to the Calcium Part and Alkalinity Part in Recipe #2? I saw the BRS recipe and thought it would be good for micronutrients

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned above, Can I add Tropic Marin Pro Coral Trace A-80ml and Tropic Marin Pro Coral Trace K+ to the Calcium Part and Alkalinity Part in Recipe #2? I saw the BRS recipe and thought it would be good for micronutrients

Recipe #2 means my unbaked sodium bicarbonate recipe? That has a different concentration and the comments about the amount of AF to use are not correct. i assumed we were talking about this thread's topic: hydroxide recipes.

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recipe #2 means my unbaked sodium bicarbonate recipe? That has a different concentration and the comments about the amount of AF to use are not correct. i assumed we were talking about this thread's topic: hydroxide recipes.
sorry
I can't get it, but I have unbaked bicarbonate
If so, how much AF do I need

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry
I can't get it, but I have unbaked bicarbonate
If so, how much AF do I need

OK, but that's the last question on that recipe for this thread. I'm happy to discuss it as much as you want in a new thread, but this thread is about the hydroxide recipe and it will just confuse readers if there are discussions of other recipes in it.

My recipe #2 using sodium bicarbonate is half as potent as my recipe #1 using sodium carbonate. Thus, you would also use half as much of the AF mineral salt as you would with Recipe #1 (which I detailed a few posts above).

Thus for each 100 mL of the alk part of Recipe #2, you would add 118 mL of the AF mineral salt mix.

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
好的,但这是该线程的该配方的最后一个问题。我很高兴在一个新线程中尽可能多地讨论它,但是这个线程是关于氢氧化物配方的,如果其中有其他配方的讨论,它只会让读者感到困惑。

我使用碳酸氢钠的配方 #2 是使用碳酸钠的配方 #1 的一半。因此,您使用的 AF 矿物盐的用量也将是配方 #1 的一半(我在上面详细介绍了几篇文章)。

因此,对于配方 #2 的每 100 mL 碱成分,您将添加 118 mL 的 AF 矿
ok THX!!! I wish you all the best

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Professor @Randy Holmes-Farley

I am using silicone tubing since it is resistant to chemical attack from the NaOH. Do you recommend a dosing pump to be used with NaOH? Or am I supposed to routinely change the heads?

I want to know proper care and maintenance with my Kamoer dosing pumps so they can last a long time and work precisely as much as possible.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Professor @Randy Holmes-Farley

I am using silicone tubing since it is resistant to chemical attack from the NaOH. Do you recommend a dosing pump to be used with NaOH? Or am I supposed to routinely change the heads?

I want to know proper care and maintenance with my Kamoer dosing pumps so they can last a long time and work precisely as much as possible.

Do you know what material is inside the pumps? I'm only familiar with the BRS 1.1 ml a minute doser which I believe is santoprene, which should be fine at high pH.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what material is inside the pumps? I'm only familiar with the BRS 1.1 ml a minute doser which I believe is santoprene, which should be fine at high pH.
Good memory. I looked up the BRS dosing pump and it is santoprene.

The dosing pump I use doesn’t state. I will switch to the BRS dosing pump (I need a second set for my other tank).

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back