Secondhand 125 Gallon tank that was used for freshwater.

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a pretty decent 125-gallon setup secondhand and it was used for freshwater setup. He made a custom 55-gallon sump to go with it. But I have never had a tank with a sump in it before. It has a return pump and the sump itself but that's it. Will this type of sump work with a saltwater setup? I am pretty sure I will need a protein skimmer but any advice would be great!

1651539723292.png

1651539742599.png

1651539753966.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should. I could be mistaken, but it looks like he ran an overflow into each end of the sump (which is ok) and placed the return pump in the center. You can place a skimmer and reactors on either side of the center chamber. The only thing you will need to figure out is some filtration on either end (filter socks, media cups, etc.)

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should. I could be mistaken, but it looks like he ran an overflow into each end of the sump (which is ok) and placed the return pump in the center. You can place a skimmer and reactors on either side of the center chamber. The only thing you will need to figure out is some filtration on either end (filter socks, media cups, etc.)
Even though the overflow are on opposite ends I'm not sure that this it drained on either side and was returned from the center and even if it was it doesn't mean that you have to do the same. I would have assumed that his two overflows are plumbed so that the pipes under the tank drains on one end. There are bubble traps on both sides so the return can be on either side.

Even if that is not what the original owner did that is how I would plumb and operate it. Plumb it so that it drains to one end and the return pump is on the other end. You have many options for filtration: protein skimmer, bio media, filter socks, sponges, refugium just to name a few. Lot's of choices but you don't need all or even most you can make it as simple or complicated as you need.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the overflow are on opposite ends I'm not sure that this it drained on either side and was returned from the center and even if it was it doesn't mean that you have to do the same. I would have assumed that his two overflows are plumbed so that the pipes under the tank drains on one end. There are bubble traps on both sides so the return can be on either side.

Even if that is not what the original owner did that is how I would plumb and operate it. Plumb it so that it drains to one end and the return pump is on the other end. You have many options for filtration: protein skimmer, bio media, filter socks, sponges, refugium just to name a few. Lot's of choices but you don't need all or even most you can make it as simple or complicated as you need.
Agreed.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am new to sumps so I really don't have any experience with them. So, basically you are saying that one side of the tank will be an overflow where the water goes into the sump goes through the media, protein skimmer, then the return pump will push it back up through the other side?

What type of filtration would you recommend? I see you listed numerous but I am not sure what would be considered the "normal" or best options. I can get whatever. Just need to know what. I have plenty of coral and only 4 fish right now that I plan on moving to the tank.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to sumps so I really don't have any experience with them. So, basically you are saying that one side of the tank will be an overflow where the water goes into the sump goes through the media, protein skimmer, then the return pump will push it back up through the other side?

What type of filtration would you recommend? I see you listed numerous but I am not sure what would be considered the "normal" or best options. I can get whatever. Just need to know what. I have plenty of coral and only 4 fish right now that I plan on moving to the tank.
He's saying to plumb both of the overflows from the top tank to drain into one side of the sump. Put your return pump in the chamber on the opposite end and the water will flow through the whole thing. Most people use filter socks but there's been a trend of people switching to fleece rollers. Then in one chamber you can put skimmer, heater etc. You could also use one chamber as a refugium.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's saying to plumb both of the overflows from the top tank to drain into one side of the sump. Put your return pump in the chamber on the opposite end and the water will flow through the whole thing. Most people use filter socks but there's been a trend of people switching to fleece rollers. Then in one chamber you can put skimmer, heater etc. You could also use one chamber as a refugium.
That makes sense! Thanks.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense! Thanks.
No problem! I would test it to make sure the water will flow through it that way. That sump is a little unusual when it comes to the placement of the baffles. If it were my tank I would take it outside place a water hose in one side and a return pump with tubing in the other. As long as the water flows from one side to the other without overflowing from one of the chambers it will be fine. If not, you may have to take the other dude's suggestion and plumb the overflows to each side with the return pump in the middle.

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, here's a picture of my sump. The white PVC (top center) is from the overflow, and that goes into a chamber with a sock. Water comes out of the bottom of that sock chamber to the right, where sits a protein skimmer with a small bio-media (blue plastic strips). The water then flows to the bottom left, you'll see a black sponge with a mesh bag on top. The mesh bag contains phosguard at the moment, but could be activated charcoal or denitrifying media. The water enters the sponge chamber at the top, goes out the bottom behind the sponge, to a chamber containing the return pump. The Y-shaped tubing arrangement is the return. Ignore the two tubes coming through the white foamcore on the left; they're associated with the chiller, currently not in use.

Attachments

• IMG_2559.jpeg
    IMG_2559.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 28

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a pretty decent 125-gallon setup secondhand and it was used for freshwater setup. He made a custom 55-gallon sump to go with it. But I have never had a tank with a sump in it before. It has a return pump and the sump itself but that's it. Will this type of sump work with a saltwater setup? I am pretty sure I will need a protein skimmer but any advice would be great!

1651539723292.png

1651539742599.png

1651539753966.png
among everything else people are saying, make sure to very thoroughly clean everything.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice setup. Lots of potential. I have a 125 gallon with two overflows into a 29 gallon DIY sump. A 55 gallon sump is huge and can be used in a variety of ways. Do some research on R2R for DIY sumps and you will see many variations.

The advantage you have here, you can remove / move / alter the dividers to suit whatever setup you prefer.

Good luck.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing, I notice in the photo of the tank that the center plastic cross member on the top of the tank appears damaged. Although it seems to be an unimportant feature, the cross member as well as the top and bottom plastic frames are structural. The cross member prevents the glass on the front and back from bulging and potentially breaking, or putting too much stress on the corners that are siliconed together. If its damaged, be sure to reinforce it before adding water.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! I would test it to make sure the water will flow through it that way. That sump is a little unusual when it comes to the placement of the baffles. If it were my tank I would take it outside place a water hose in one side and a return pump with tubing in the other. As long as the water flows from one side to the other without overflowing from one of the chambers it will be fine. If not, you may have to take the other dude's suggestion and plumb the overflows to each side with the return pump in the middle.
Thats a great idea
1651603420708.png

This is from the listing. So it does looking like it’s coming from the middle. But I do normally see sumps on one side. So I should maybe test with your idea! I think that’s very smart

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, here's a picture of my sump. The white PVC (top center) is from the overflow, and that goes into a chamber with a sock. Water comes out of the bottom of that sock chamber to the right, where sits a protein skimmer with a small bio-media (blue plastic strips). The water then flows to the bottom left, you'll see a black sponge with a mesh bag on top. The mesh bag contains phosguard at the moment, but could be activated charcoal or denitrifying media. The water enters the sponge chamber at the top, goes out the bottom behind the sponge, to a chamber containing the return pump. The Y-shaped tubing arrangement is the return. Ignore the two tubes coming through the white foamcore on the left; they're associated with the chiller, currently not in use.
Thats why I love this forum. Everyone is so nice and helpful! Thanks a lot

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
among everything else people are saying, make sure to very thoroughly clean everything.
oh dont worry! I am not in a rush since I am going to strip and paint the cabinet. So I will be scrubbing this thing. I usually use 10:100 white vinegar and 1:100 bleach. Do you recommend anything different?

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing, I notice in the photo of the tank that the center plastic cross member on the top of the tank appears damaged. Although it seems to be an unimportant feature, the cross member as well as the top and bottom plastic frames are structural. The cross member prevents the glass on the front and back from bulging and potentially breaking, or putting too much stress on the corners that are siliconed together. If its damaged, be sure to reinforce it before adding water.
I did notice that when I got it. It's not broken or anything. Honestly looks like it may have caught onto something at some point. But I will verify the integrity of the beam. If not up to par what can I do to help support it?

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure there is a normal option. It depends on what you are trying to control and how much maintenance you want to do. You can add all sorts of filtration. Filter socks are great but require you to clean them regularly. Fleece rollers require much less maintenance but are pretty costly. For a bare minimum I would add a sponge from the overflow, some bio media and a protein skimmer. You can add GFO to control phosphates, carbon to keep water clear. A refugium will help control nitrates and phosphates. For me I'm just planning my 90 gallon ultra low maintenance build using the Triton Method. That will have a refugium, protein skimmer, GFO and Carbon reactor as well as a UV sterilizer.

You can invest in all sorts of filtration to keep things stable and reduce maintenance but you can also monitor your parameters and do regular water changes.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am just going to see how it goes! Since I never had one before I will probably take it slower. I don't have a lot of fish so that's a good thing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back