Securing Aquatic Life hybrid to hood?

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked up a 61” hybrid fixture and realized it has the cables for hanging, but nothing to secure it to the canopy. Did anyone grab hooks or something from Home Depot or Lowe’s? If so, what did you get? Thanks!

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't get something like these in the box?
image.jpg

JPK_Esquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this same problem. I made rails for the fixture to sit on. I drilled through the top of the canopy and suspended the rails from the top of the canopy. The fixture slides forward and backward. I’m out of town this weekend, but send me a PM and I’ll send you pics of what I did, including the hardware used from Home Depot.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you already bought the fixture but if you are using a canopy why wouldn’t you just buy a retrofit kit so you can hard mount your t5s directly into the hood then just mount your LEDs the same way? You could bypass having a fixture in your canopy, make everything that much cleaner and also make removing your canopy that much easier and safer than having a big fixture hanging from cables inside.

OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you already bought the fixture but if you are using a canopy why wouldn’t you just buy a retrofit kit so you can hard mount your t5s directly into the hood then just mount your LEDs the same way? You could bypass having a fixture in your canopy, make everything that much cleaner and also make removing your canopy that much easier and safer than having a big fixture hanging from cables inside.
I wanted this fixture in addition to the 2 bulb retro I have. I don’t like the way retros mount and also don’t like the way the radions hang from the cable. Thanks for the suggestion though.

JPK_Esquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to drill through my hood, so may just send it back. Thanks all.
I wasn’t wild about drilling through the hood either, but I spent a solid couple of weeks thinking through this. The only other option was attaching to the wall using the brackets shown above, and then slide the canopy against the wall covering it so it doesn’t show. Unless your canopy is really high (I had them add 2 inches of height and it would not have been enough), it’s not a viable option. Good Luck!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back