Sediment Filter for Saltwater Mixing Station

ApolloReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,
I was looking to see if anyone is using a sediment filter for their saltwater mixing station. I have a saltwater mixing station in my garage with two 55 gal containers with 1" plumbing. I have a pump that will turn on during periodically during the day to keep the saltwater mixed up. I wanted to add a sediment filter to this line since I use Red Sea Blue Bucket and I can see sediment in the tank from the residual mixing.

I found this below on Amazon. I was wondering if anyone runs one to reduce sediment and if so, what do you run? Do you think below would work? Is it worth it to run it?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used a sediment filter with my mixing station. Additionally, once my saltwater is sufficiently mixed up, I don't continue to mix it up. BRS did a series on mixing if you want to check it out.

OP
OP
A

ApolloReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did watch the BRS series and they recommend a sediment filter as almost all of the salts left behind some residue. I was wondering what people use and how they set them up. Also, I did some experimentation on my station, and I mix salt water once a week for about 18 hours, which is enough for the daily AWC water changes for the water. What I noticed was at the end of the week, I was getting a gradient in my SG from the top to bottom. Since then, I set up a daily timer for the big pump to mix it up for 30 miuntes an hour before the AWC starts, I have noticed that my SG says much more consisent.

BRS did recommend a RO type of sediment filter, but I like the idea of using one in my PVC piping. I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this?

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed one of these from Menards with a 5 micron string wound filter inside. Change it out when the flow lessens. Can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Much clearer water I think.

1601250060469.png

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Frankenstein mixing station...

The two barrels on the left are for my freshwater tanks. The blue on the right is my Saltwater mixing and storage container.

0927202019a_HDR.jpg 0927202021.jpg

OP
OP
A

ApolloReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update, this is what I ended up building. Best thing I ever did. I have the main pump on a timer to run for a couple hours each day recirculating the salt water on the left tank back into itself. The filter pulls out so much sediment, I have to change it every two weeks. I sampled test the salinity and it doesn't seem to be effected as week goes on. I use the Red Sea blue bucket so your mileage may vary.

1615499839691.png

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it run through that filter all the time? Or only when its going out to the DT?
It only goes through the filter when I am filling the DT or QT. I have a hose with a ball valve. I sometimes turn it on and hook the hose on the storage barrel to make it recirculate the storage water.

MasterChief

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update, this is what I ended up building. Best thing I ever did. I have the main pump on a timer to run for a couple hours each day recirculating the salt water on the left tank back into itself. The filter pulls out so much sediment, I have to change it every two weeks. I sampled test the salinity and it doesn't seem to be effected as week goes on. I use the Red Sea blue bucket so your mileage may vary.

1615499839691.png
This is great! Thanks for posting. I use Red Sea blue bucket as well and am in the process of upgrading my mixing station. I have my mixing station on a screened in back porch in the orlando area so I am adding a chiller in-line with a culligan filter. I am using a number of three way valves and my old M2 pump (updated my DT return pump to a COR). I post some pics when complete.

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1615499839691.png
I like the idea of a sediment filter but worry it's pulling out too much and clogging too quickly if the saltwater is running through the filter the whole time it's mixing. My thought was to add a bypass and install the sediment filter on the bypass with valves so I could mix up the saltwater adequately, for maybe a few hours, then open the bypass valve to allow it to flow through the filter after the majority of the mix has been dissolved. Curious to hear your thoughts on this idea, as it seems not many people are running sediment filters in this fashion, but it seems well worth the extra $30 to me to minimize cleaning.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back