Seeding Media for new tank

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new tank Additional tank I’m starting. To cycle the tank faster I know you have to have some media in the new tank that’s already seeded. I just did a water tank and took 1 bucket and filled it with current tank water and the media I’m going to use in the new tank. 1. Is that smart and 2. How long will it tank for those sponges and things to get seeded enough to start my second tank?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 20 days they'll cast enough bac to seed the new system even if you don't add more bac. The timeframe from a cycling chart will cover this type of cycle

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 20 days they'll cast enough bac to seed the new system even if you don't add more bac. The timeframe from a cycling chart will cover this type of cycle
Thanks, as long as the media is sitting in the tank water it’s fine correct? I covered the bucket with. Lid from home depot

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it uncovered and topped off so they won't go anoxic, or maybe with lid sitting on rim but not locked down

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t matter if you do or not, the bac will not be killed either way. Merely wet means they’ll live years in open topped systems. I saw an experiment where Dr Reef was able to starve out bacteria in a sealed system, so we open top it and it’ll be fine.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t matter if you do or not, the bac will not be killed either way. Merely wet means they’ll live years in open topped systems. I saw an experiment where Dr Reef was able to starve out bacteria in a sealed system, so we open top it and it’ll be fine.
Appreciate you!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back