Seeding Pods

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to seed my tank with pods (144 gallon) before I attempt to reintroduce livestock. I figure this will give them the best chance of survival (initially).

The question I am looking for help on is there a ratio of pods to gallon that is recommended or is it just a guessing game?

I am looking to seed the tank as I have been hearing more and more that they are good with algae control and eventually I might want to add some live stock that prefer pods as a food source.

Any help is appreciated.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get 2 of these.
Some times they go on sale 2 for 1.
There are many types of pods and this will give you a mix.
Be sure to feed them something green and soon you will have tons.
Be sure to pull your filter socks so they dont get filtered out.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're a huge fan of @AlgaeBarn pods. We add them monthly to our systems and every time we pick up a frag plug it is loaded. Each of our grow out tanks has a mandarin and they no longer swim, they just waddle around fat and happy

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking to seed my tank with pods (144 gallon) before I attempt to reintroduce livestock. I figure this will give them the best chance of survival (initially).

The question I am looking for help on is there a ratio of pods to gallon that is recommended or is it just a guessing game?

I am looking to seed the tank as I have been hearing more and more that they are good with algae control and eventually I might want to add some live stock that prefer pods as a food source.

Any help is appreciated.
Hi there. Here is a link to one of our blog posts that has a chart break down that might be of help for you :)

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no rule of # of pods per gallon (the instructions on pod bottles will tell you to add them every so often, but thats marketing). Whatever you add, they will eventually multiply and fill your tank if you feed them (with phyto).

PS - they don't help with algae control, not at all.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just seeded my system with Ecopods from Algaebarn around a month ago feeding some phyto every few days and the pods have spread through my entire system in that time. I would buy them again if I ever need another boost of pods in my system.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just seeded my system with Ecopods from Algaebarn around a month ago feeding some phyto every few days and the pods have spread through my entire system in that time. I would buy them again if I ever need another boost of pods in my system.

I Love This Dancing GIF by Peloton
Love it! Thanks for the support and choosing AlgaeBarn!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just purchased the same it will be in on sunday, anything special i should do or expect, or just dump it in ASAP?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their really isn't a ratio, just dump them in the tank, LOL!!! I added 3 jars of Ecopods from @AlgaeBarn in my 225 gal tank that is going on 7 weeks old, and just added another 2 jars of Ecopods. I have a Divided Leopard wrasse that eats them like pop rocks, so I probably can't over dose pods, LOL!!!

I am also on a subscription for 3 jars every 6 weeks to make sure I have plenty of pods in the tank.

Last edited:

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Their really isn't a ration, just dump them in the tank, LOL!!! I added 3 jars of Ecopods from @AlgaeBarn in my 225 gal tank that is going on 7 weeks old, and just added another 2 jars of Ecopods. I have a Divided Leopard wrasse that eats them like pop rocks, so I probably can't over dose pods, LOL!!!

I am also on a subscription for 3 jars every 6 weeks to make sure I have plenty of pods in the tank.
I’m dying at the pop rocks part lol Thank you for being a loyal customer!

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i just purchased the same it will be in on sunday, anything special i should do or expect, or just dump it in ASAP?
Float the jar so they get temperature acclimated and turn off all flow before putting them in so they have a chance to get into the rock work and crevasses (and turn the lights off of putting in the display so your fish don’t immediately eat them as well)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back