seek testing automation Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium & pH

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seek testing automation Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium & pH. Having salinity & temp in the mix of automated measuring would be nice, but those are relatively easy with my ATO, heater & chiller controlled. Temp and salinity aren't fluxing.

What are my automation options? Feel I'm limited to Mastertronic which is not in stock anywhere but UK, and heard USA buying UK voids warranty (power & such). Been trying to bridge the gap with paying LFS for testing, but they are far and use API so I feel I've gone from bad (lazy me but nice kits) to worse.

Heard Neptune Trident has price hike next week, but that product only gets me SOME of my parameters (and think I'd still need Apex controller...)

If you had limited budget that could stretch for a Mastertronic, please let me know what you would do (or are doing! I can't be alone). I don't think of myself as lazy, but I don't test as I should and I would like more frequently (daily) testing of my parameters. Black Friday sales are coming (not that Mastertronic expected to go on sale...)

I know getting my parameters automated will lead me to dosing more frequently, but first things first - need to automate my Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium & pH water parameter testing. I want to just push a button and get readings, or look at a screen and get readings.

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome thoughts from others.

While I make some long term testing decisions, decided to go with 4 weeks of ICP testing using www.aquariumwatertesting.com. First single vial test I'm having them rush to me so I can rush back. Then ordered 3 more single vial tests that I can send back each week. Hoping by that point I have a better strategy than nearly $50 week in testing.... because that could be a Neptune Trident over time...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex + Trident gives you pH, salinity, temperature, ORP, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Then I just run a Nyos nitrate/phosphate test kit every 1-2 weeks. It's not ideal, but my nitrate and phosphate are typically very low anyway.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me see if I can make this simple... forget about pH. Just forget about it forever.

Get a balanced addition method like a calcium reactor. Get good at running it to where you can just glance at it and see that the bubbles and drips are good. Test for alk once a week and calcium about once a quarter - they don't always get used in absolute balance, but it is slow enough to only worry about it every few months, or more.

Test for phosphate and nitrate a few times a month.

This is what I do. Nothing out there is all that reliable and all that they are is another **** to wipe and you end up having to test by hand anyway. Say your Super Parameter Robot says that X parameter is out of whack and you have good equipment... it is more likely that the Robot is wrong and you have to hand check the parameter anyway and you certainly cannot trust it from across the world from a web app to have your unknowledgeable granny or spouse take action.

In all honesty, the more than you take your eyes off the tank, the more that will go wrong. These are hobby grade tools that ONLY need to be used when you already have a SUPER SOLID understanding of your tank, basic chemistry and basic biology. People who use them to do jobs for them usually end up having failures and regrets, and people who introduce them early instead of gaining the appropriate knowledge and experience are more destined to fail. I would spend any automation testing cash on super reliable equipment first. Then when you get good at this, see if you want to buy the stuff... chances are that you might not unless you a gadget lover and even then you will be super glad that you learned it first for yourself.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things being out of stock, especially electronics, is going to happen. I think the only other option for testing all of the things you wish to test for would be

Profilux 4 $899.90
KH Director: 869.90
ION Director: 849.90 (maybe)

The Directors say they require the Doser 2.1, but that's unclear if both can function off of one, or if they each need one, the pricing above is for the combo unit for both.

That's way out of your price point though... so...

ReefJonas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seek testing automation Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium & pH. Having salinity & temp in the mix of automated measuring would be nice, but those are relatively easy with my ATO, heater & chiller controlled. Temp and salinity aren't fluxing.

What are my automation options? Feel I'm limited to Mastertronic which is not in stock anywhere but UK, and heard USA buying UK voids warranty (power & such). Been trying to bridge the gap with paying LFS for testing, but they are far and use API so I feel I've gone from bad (lazy me but nice kits) to worse.

Heard Neptune Trident has price hike next week, but that product only gets me SOME of my parameters (and think I'd still need Apex controller...)

If you had limited budget that could stretch for a Mastertronic, please let me know what you would do (or are doing! I can't be alone). I don't think of myself as lazy, but I don't test as I should and I would like more frequently (daily) testing of my parameters. Black Friday sales are coming (not that Mastertronic expected to go on sale...)

I know getting my parameters automated will lead me to dosing more frequently, but first things first - need to automate my Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium & pH water parameter testing. I want to just push a button and get readings, or look at a screen and get readings.
MT is soon in stock now in USA according to info I got. :)

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO industrial control systems are the way to go - AllenBradley, AutomatedLogic, Alerton, etc. For most, the price will be the issue. However, I have researched the "hobby" grade controllers and being a software engineer for a world-wide automation company - they make me sick. The "proprietary" blend of "need this addon/extra $400 expander" to read that "sensor" just makes me want to punch my computer.
Industrial control - this is what I do for a living and a LOT of what happens in a fish tank happens in the area I work in - HVAC control. We take full control of everything comfort related in large industrial complexes clear down to a simple church or daycare center. In whole, pumps, chillers, boilers, air handlers, temperatures - you name it - we control it/measure it and make decisions based on it. If it gets turned on/off, or somewhere in between, there is a way to make industrial controls do it.
The proprietary issue USED to be a problem (in the 80'-90s) with industrial controls also - then the manufacturers woke up and realized that tying every customer to their equipment AND controls was losing them money. (insert echo-tech). The DC pumps and other items use 0-10VDC control (typical industrial standards, but not accessible for external control that I have found yet).
My controllers can read ANY value, binary, or analog - if there is a sensor made - I can read it. So, in the case of any parameter you want to know - there is a scientific grade probe to measure it. Example Ph, ORP, etc., there are sensors made for a lot of parameters - but again, the cost is usually the issue. I will say, for minor automation/monitoring, apex systems do not seem that bad, but I wish they were a tad more affordable for what they ultimately do.
A full industrial grade system would be cost prohibitive, and I assume that is what they know that prevents them from being so "open". I guess I am lucky in that regard as I get equipment for "testing" that most would not be able to just buy outright unless they were really wanting to be fully automated and $ was not an issue. There could also be an issue in execution of the programming - maybe that is another driver for the packaged deals? Ease of implementation.
Just my 2 cents ....

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%

Back