Seeking advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter DeSoDo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DeSoDo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2024
Messages
308
Reaction score
198
Location
Raleigh
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, my emerald crabs keep dying. Corals are fine and growing, peppermint shrimp is fine, but all 6 of my emerald crabs are dead. I search for them at night because they would always hide during the day. Haven't seen any of them and bubble algae is spreading, so I doubt they're still alive.
 
How soon after you add them are they dying. I never seem to get more than a few months out of them. Snails and shrimp are fine so I have no idea why the emeralds don't last.
I got them about 2 months ago. Haven't seen any but 1 over the last 3 weeks. Haven't seen the 1 that was remaining in about a week.
 
Similar to my experiences. I've tried pitho crabs with similar results. I don't have any predators they just don't seem to last. Another mystery for me.
I haven't tried pithos yet, but this bubble algae is literally spreading every day. I go in and pull some out without even popping them, and there's more the next day.
 
Stay on it. It's a nasty one that can get out of hand. I never worried about popping them. I question them spreading spores that way. Fish and crabs don't swallow them whole. JMO no facts it just makes sense. I've only had a problem with bubble algae in one tank and I noticed it started in a couple of places where detritus collected. Once I got the bubble algae gone there if I keep it clean it hasn't been returning. I used a stainless straw and made a kind of scraper attached to a hose which does a decent job.
PXL_20241014_223706152.RAW-01.COVER.jpg


I don't think the pitho crabs do any better than emeralds they're just supposed to be safer with coral but personal I've not had a problem with emeralds and coral.
 
I may have to do something like that, it's getting out of hand. I need to figure out why as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new