Seeking amphipod suggestions please

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning fellow reefers. Got a question, I'm trying to increase my amphipod population in my tank (not copepod) and I'm looking for suggestions as to what might be a good source for purchase.

The reason I'm not looking for copepods in particular is twofold. Firstly, they cannot survive or reproduce in my tank due to the very high flow. (eventually they all go into the water column and #woosh# away they go). I have done the whole second tank to cultivate them, I just don't want to deal with it again. Secondly, and related, I'm seeking the amphipods since they mostly reside on the rocks and would actually survive in my tank. The reason I want them at all is because I'm trying to help my cuc get rid of excess nutrients without adding much bioload (battling gha -not an infestation but a little help would be nice)

If anyone has any suggestions or experience with this I would really appreciate it. Oh just for the sake of information:

Tank has been up and running for about 2 years.
It is a 125g
Flow rate is around 4.5k gph
Softies, lps, and sps. Everything is good and healthy

If you need any more information let me know. Thank you kindly for looking and for your time!

OP
OP
bluey

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might you consider tuxedo urchins , and or Mexican turbos instead ???
Awesome suggestion about the urchins. I didn't even think about it! Already gave some turbos (4) wanted to avoid overstocking cuc b/c no need to have them die off from starvation

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copepods did you have in your system that would get blown away ? Majority of consumer grade copepods are non pelagic and there's no amount of flow that would be able to remove them from deep inside the rocks and substrate.

OP
OP
bluey

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copepods did you have in your system that would get blown away ? Majority of consumer grade copepods are non pelagic and there's no amount of flow that would be able to remove them from deep inside the rocks and substrate.

This is the product I used mostly. I would say about 75% was trigger pods. Then the rest was tisbe and cyclops from algae barb

. I cultivated them for about 2 months in a 20g tank. Looked like a snow globe before I introduced them to the main tank.

I'm not doubting you at all, just don't know what I could have done wrong or differently

OP
OP
bluey

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it didn't post but it was reef nutrition trigger pods. After looking into it further it seems that they are mostly the free floating type

Ryan Reynolds Ugh GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my amphipods from ipsf. Seeded both of my tanks with them. I added a wrasse to one my tanks and I can no longer see.

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaculture Nursery Farms

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it didn't post but it was reef nutrition trigger pods. After looking into it further it seems that they are mostly the free floating type

Ryan Reynolds Ugh GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Yeah they definitely like to enter the water colum when fully matured. On the bright side your fish had a very healthy snack lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back