Seeking custom sized aquarium on short timeline

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I’m seeking a custom sized aquarium- 45” long, by 30” wide. Probably 24-26” deep. So, a custom 140-160 gallon, fat rectangle. Low iron glass desired. Any manufacturers able to make something like that within 2-3 weeks?

I have this corner in my apartment that would be perfect for an aquarium, but most manufacturers jump from 36” right to 48” long tanks, whereas I can’t fit a full 4 feet, I think the space is 46 or 47 inches wide? The biggest standard dimension tank I’ve been able to find for the space is a waterbox infinia 125.3. It’s 40.9” long, but it’s only 23.6” wide so it’s well under 100 gallons display capacity. We’re I to get something custom built, I could actually have enough gallons to feasibly hold most tangs and butterflyfish, certainly compared to the shorter narrower option.

glass cages seems great, but, the 8-12 week wait time is long for my purposes. Anyone able to do it sooner?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That cliché comment pops into mind; nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. I feel that applies here too. There is a reason custom tanks take some time. I wouldn't want my tank to be rushed. In the end you will never even notice the wait. Don't rush the reef.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While making it in that timeline should be no problem, the wait list is a thing at all of the major manufacturers I've heard of and has been for years. If they have the right glass in stock and are close enough for shipping times not to be a problem, a tank can be assembled in a few days

Your best bet would be to look around for local builders who for whatever reason are not backlogged, or just waiting. If you've got livestock that needs a home, you can try something like a big rubbermaid tub or a brute trashcan or two to keep things going while you wait.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 weeks barely enough time for silicone cure. I'd prefer even longer.

Unrelated, but I wouldn't consider "gallons" to be the best measurement for appropriate fish. 45" longest dimension just isn't that much space for active critters :(

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 weeks barely enough time for silicone cure. I'd prefer even longer.

Unrelated, but I wouldn't consider "gallons" to be the best measurement for appropriate fish. 45" longest dimension just isn't that much space for active critters :(
Absolutely correct @FSP

2 weeks of cure time prior to moving any tanks in our shop. Moving a tank too soon after assembly could: introduce bubbles in the seams, compromise the tank, cause panel shifting and so one. The silicone needs time to cure. Great point.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I’m seeking a custom sized aquarium- 45” long, by 30” wide. Probably 24-26” deep. So, a custom 140-160 gallon, fat rectangle. Low iron glass desired. Any manufacturers able to make something like that within 2-3 weeks?

I have this corner in my apartment that would be perfect for an aquarium, but most manufacturers jump from 36” right to 48” long tanks, whereas I can’t fit a full 4 feet, I think the space is 46 or 47 inches wide? The biggest standard dimension tank I’ve been able to find for the space is a waterbox infinia 125.3. It’s 40.9” long, but it’s only 23.6” wide so it’s well under 100 gallons display capacity. We’re I to get something custom built, I could actually have enough gallons to feasibly hold most tangs and butterflyfish, certainly compared to the shorter narrower option.

glass cages seems great, but, the 8-12 week wait time is long for my purposes. Anyone able to do it sooner?

Hi @MantisShrimpMan

love that screen name!

2 to 3 weeks on a glass build will be extremely tough. When we build a glass tank, we will not move a glass assembled tank for 2 weeks after assembly as to allow the silicone to cure. Moving too soon can introduce many challenges.

FYI, we do offer a 5 week build guarantee. Not sure it this is an acceptable build time for you or not. Anything much faster really should be questioned regarding a glass build.

Let us know. Here to support you even if you buy from a different builder.

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @MantisShrimpMan

love that screen name!

2 to 3 weeks on a glass build will be extremely tough. When we build a glass tank, we will not move a glass assembled tank for 2 weeks after assembly as to allow the silicone to cure. Moving too soon can introduce many challenges.

FYI, we do offer a 5 week build guarantee. Not sure it this is an acceptable build time for you or not. Anything much faster really should be questioned regarding a glass build.

Let us know. Here to support you even if you buy from a different builder.
Hi!

thanks for all the info and I appreciate the compliment on my screen name too lol!

I was unaware that glass tanks required such long curing times.

I’m a college student. I only have another 1.5 years in my current apartment. To the extent that weeks add up, it would be nice to start soon, because the sooner you start, the sooner your tank matures, and hence, the prospects of having some nice corals during college. Plus- from my time as a scuba lover- I truly love the look of mature corals. Sps colonies where you know “dang that thing must be as old as I am!” And while I’m not sure how realistic this is, to the extent that I can have some colonies that stick with me for the rest of my adult life, I could see that being extremely rewarding.

That being said - to the extent that I want to start soon, I want to start right. I’m absolutely willing to wait the necessary length of time for an aquarium to cure. I was mainly acting on the lengthy timeline from companies like Innovative Marine- if I were to order their flagship tank, it will take at least 3 months to arrive! But 5 weeks is a lot more understandable than their outlined 12-16 week timeline.

Joe- please forgive me if this is too much to ask- but would you mind exchanging phone numbers? I could use a consult on this tank build- and as you said- whether I buy from your or not, I can see myself being a future customer of your brand and seeking assistance from you. Being able to show you the space I’m working with, etc. and get your feedback as far as tank size, design, build components, etc, would all be super super helpful for me as a newcomer to this hobby. I was also offered a good deal on a used custom aquarium but even just understanding what I’m getting myself into were I to buy that tank is something I could use assistance with- so overall, a set of guidelines and feedback to steer me towards the right choice would be greatly appreciated.

my number is Nine17 3Four0 033Seven

if this isn’t too much to ask, please shoot me a text.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

thanks for all the info and I appreciate the compliment on my screen name too lol!

I was unaware that glass tanks required such long curing times.

I’m a college student. I only have another 1.5 years in my current apartment. To the extent that weeks add up, it would be nice to start soon, because the sooner you start, the sooner your tank matures, and hence, the prospects of having some nice corals during college. Plus- from my time as a scuba lover- I truly love the look of mature corals. Sps colonies where you know “dang that thing must be as old as I am!” And while I’m not sure how realistic this is, to the extent that I can have some colonies that stick with me for the rest of my adult life, I could see that being extremely rewarding.

That being said - to the extent that I want to start soon, I want to start right. I’m absolutely willing to wait the necessary length of time for an aquarium to cure. I was mainly acting on the lengthy timeline from companies like Innovative Marine- if I were to order their flagship tank, it will take at least 3 months to arrive! But 5 weeks is a lot more understandable than their outlined 12-16 week timeline.

Joe- please forgive me if this is too much to ask- but would you mind exchanging phone numbers? I could use a consult on this tank build- and as you said- whether I buy from your or not, I can see myself being a future customer of your brand and seeking assistance from you. Being able to show you the space I’m working with, etc. and get your feedback as far as tank size, design, build components, etc, would all be super super helpful for me as a newcomer to this hobby. I was also offered a good deal on a used custom aquarium but even just understanding what I’m getting myself into were I to buy that tank is something I could use assistance with- so overall, a set of guidelines and feedback to steer me towards the right choice would be greatly appreciated.

my number is Nine17 3Four0 033Seven

if this isn’t too much to ask, please shoot me a text.
Great talking with you today @MantisShrimpMan

always available to talk tanks.

my direct number is 404-434-3444.

Have a great day!

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

If you live in an apartment I assume you are not on ground floor. I would double check that your floors are rated to hold a fish tank. It may not be bad to do less than 100G as every gallon counts in terms to weight. If you know it is fine weight wise, I had a custom tank done by fishtankdirect.com. Mine was acrylic and was 450 gallons and ran me a decent amount. You may be better off saving the money and either waiting for a tank that fits or going with a smaller one. I also know there are a lot of rectangular/square 150s on the market that you could probably find.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back