Seeking degree in our hobby.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What 4 year degree would be most useful to a person in the reef-keeping hobby? Biology, Chemistry? What??

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up the Florida Keys Community College on Key West. My daughter (who is 17) and I spoke with them at MACNA. They offer a course in marine fish breeding that is very appealing. Classes even include diving certification and learning to drive a boat amount other things. It is a small community college, but they do have dorms.

Realized I did not answer your question...I would consider a degree in biology, marine biology, or even wildlife biology (lots of AmeriCorps students working at the Jekyll Island turtle hospital have a wildlife biology degree).

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A more rare degree with higher job placement.
In some colleges in the north west there are degrees in aquaculture.

The degree is most likely named fishery management. I dont remember the schools particularly but are mostly in Washington state and oregon.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... let me expand....

I'm young, I'm retired, I am a full-time reef keeper.

Who among us holds advanced degrees and what are they in?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Law, Medical ,Aerospace, Just google top paying Careers . The more money you can make the more you can spend...

I've already got money to spend. Getting a bachelors degree and a more advanced degree relevant to the hobby is more of a bucket list thing.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it must depend on what aspect of the hobby you are most interested in diving deep on (pardon the pun). Several examples were pointed out like breeding, equipment design, chemistry. The big open issues in the hobby as far as I am concerned are aquaculture, pest elimination, and automated testing and management of some of the critical parameters like alkalinity, nitrate, and phosphate. Each of those would be a different concentration of study in my opinion but would be highly rewarding. I should add, to answer your question directly, I have a Master's in computer science and a PhD in computer engineering and it has been helpful to me in the hobby to understand automation. But, since it is my day job I don't really get into programming controllers as much as you might imagine :)

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends what you want to do. If you want to work at a large institution, I'd get an undergraduate degree in biology, then a master's in marine biology. I'll eat a $20 bill whole if you actually learn a single thing about coral or fish husbandry in either of these types of programs, but unfortunately, a mostly useless degree is what's required to work at most large aquariums or in academia.

If you actually want to learn something valuable, look for colleges like @SandJ recommended. There are likely many colleges in FL that offer programs on coral/fish husbandry, breeding, or maybe even coral reef restoration. This degree might not do you any favors if you're looking to work at a big public aquarium, but you'll actually get some useful knowledge out of the program.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... let me expand....I'm young, I'm retired, I am a full-time reef keeper. Who among us holds advanced degrees and what are they in?

Well, I'm not formally educated in this field, so I can't speak with experience, but I would think the following:

* Marine Biology - a clear winner to learn more about the critters we keep
* Microbiology - learn more about the bacteria we depend on so much in this hobby
* Chemistry - I find reefing is more about the water we are able to maintain for the ecosystem, so this one would be good
* Mechanical Engineer - personally, I'm obsessed with fluid dynamics and building the most efficient water treatment systems for my tank and would love to be an expert in fluid dynamics. This would probably include plenty of Physics courses which would directly relate to understanding the root of how fluid travels through spaces

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already got money to spend. Getting a bachelors degree and a more advanced degree relevant to the hobby is more of a bucket list thing.
I have a Friend/ Customer who has a Chemical Engineer degree W hydrodynamics as part of it. She works for Chemical plants designing mixing and storage plumbing . the chemical side of the hobby is something that disadvantages most of us who have careers with no knowledge in this area. LIKE ME .. My Back ground is in Construction Management
I am Semi retired and thought about taking a Electronics Classes , or Programming..

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UF/IFAS have nice programs. At least one that deals specifically with marine ornamental aquaculture.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anything in fish aquaculture if you want to the best for the hobby.
Breeding fish is going to be severely needed in the next few years.
There is going to be a shortage of fish with the bans in Hawaii and there will be more coming in the next few years.
Caribbean will most likely be the next ban with a new round of coral disease that showed up and the lionfish hurting populations of fish.

PapaWhisky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a B.S. and M.S. in Biology. Getting a B.S. in Biology will expose you to all aspects of the hobby, particularly if you go to a school that has elective courses that line up with your interests (marine biology, fish breeding, etc). A B.S. will give you the foundations in ecology, biochemistry, chemistry, and physics that will help you understand the fundamentals of what's going on in your tank, why things happen, and how the chemicals and equipment work they way they do. Once you have a strong foundation, then you can specialize.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input.

Yes; this isn't about being able to work in the field. It is more about devoting myself to something now that I've retired.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself. B.S. in biology. MS in aquaculture/marine science. As stated above, there are so many aspects of this hobby. Which parts are you passionate about? The fish? Getting fish to spawn and keeping the larvae alive would greatly help the hobby? The equipment? Filtration and lighting seems to be big, along with monitors and dosing. Corals? Plants? The only one who can answer your question is you. The was a book I read once that said something like "You teach what need most to learn". Once you find it, the learning will never end.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... let me expand....

I'm young, I'm retired, I am a full-time reef keeper.

Who among us holds advanced degrees and what are they in?
I like this idea, but I do not think you need a degree. Some of the dumbest people I know hold degrees lol. The piece of paper is paid for and you can be taught for free on forums like this and books.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back