Seeking Input: Affordable Smart Aquarium Controller - Your Suggestions Wanted!

Will you buy such smart controller for $60

• Yes

• No

• I want more for bang for the buck

Results are only viewable after voting.

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow hobbyists!

I've designed a product and its ready to be commercially manufactured, but before I take the leap of faith, I wanted to get the community's thoughts. Let me share the details with you all.

What do you think about an affordable (something that everyone can easily afford and does not break your bank), entry-level smart aquarium controller with the following features:

• Four smart outlets to control heater and chiller based on the water temperature set in the app, with two additional outlets for running pumps or other devices, all controllable based on various parameters.
  • Temperature probe (included), allowing you to set your desired temperature in the app for automatic management of your heater or chiller.
  • Two leak detection probes (Included) to be placed on the floor, providing local sounding alarms and in-app notifications for any leaks. (You can also configure the device to stop the pump in case of a leak.)
  • Grounding probe (included) to remove any stray voltage.
  • pH monitoring capability (probe not included but available separately), which can be connected to any power outlet and configured to control any attached device. Easy pH probe calibration can be done from the app.
  • Local display on the device showing the desired and current temperature.
  • Fully functional app available on the App Store and Google Play for controlling the power outlets and viewing real-time data.
  • Over the Air updates
More features and functionality can be added to it but I would like to know what are some other quintessentials that you would like to see in this, keep in mind this would be an entry level product to help new and old hobbyist enjoy the hobby without having to worry about expensive smart controller

I'm eager to hear your thoughts and feedback on this !

Thanks

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
just some thoughts.
  • can you use the 6 outlets for other things other than a heater/chiller controller, or it it limited to only to the additional 2 you have outside of the 4?
  • option to forgo the leak detectors?

personally, i just need to automate my dosing and measure the live results for stability. but this seems promising.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the company going to be available at least 9-5 weekdays for customer support? Chat, text, email? What's the warranty? What's the company's history, so I can figure out whether they'll be around to help me in ten years (which is less old than my Apex is).

Back in the day my Apex got nailed by a power surge -- firmware issue only. Not sure if anyone has had a full blown controller failure, but it is really stressful. Whole tank is dark -- pull the plug on your reef to get the effect. Neptune got me running the next day. That is worth a very lot of money to me.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add two bits of functionality and I think you're golden:

First, expandability is a must. With only four outlets, customers are either going to have to daisy-chain extension cords and expansion plugs onto that thing, or invest in a secondary power outlet. If I'm buying a controller, I at least want the option to plug (almost) everything into the controller. With yours, you'd only be able to have heater, return pump, chiller, and pH probe plugged in. What about powerheads, skimmers, UV sterilizers, lights, fleece rollers, or refugium lights?

Second, include a desktop app/cloud portal so that customers can control from their PCs. Personal pet peeve, but I hate being forced to use my phone to control anything. I have a desktop with a full keyboard, a mouse, and multiple monitors. Why, then, am I forced to use a 6" touchscreen to control something? I think I'm in the minority these days, but that's ok. If I have the choice between something that must be controlled with my phone, or something that I can use from my desktop - everything else being equal, I'm choosing the one I can control from my desktop.

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just some thoughts.
  • can you use the 6 outlets for other things other than a heater/chiller controller, or it it limited to only to the additional 2 you have outside of the 4?
  • option to forgo the leak detectors?

personally, i just need to automate my dosing and measure the live results for stability. but this seems promising.
There are total of 4 outlets , Each of them can be tied to any parameter available (Temp, pH, Leak detection) of your choice to turn them on/off. They can also be programmed to turn on/off on schedule.
The idea is to offer a device that does temperature management (heater/chiller) but these outlets can be controlled independently or can be tied to any parameter of your choice.
You will get leak probes anyways but you can use them just for notification (local and in-app) and doesnt have to be tied with any smart power outlet

Last edited:

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although there is certainly a market for low cost controllers, at that $60 price point, I think a lot of people might see a perceived lack of value and assume the quality is lacking. Just my marketing brain at work.

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the company going to be available at least 9-5 weekdays for customer support? Chat, text, email? What's the warranty? What's the company's history, so I can figure out whether they'll be around to help me in ten years (which is less old than my Apex is).

Back in the day my Apex got nailed by a power surge -- firmware issue only. Not sure if anyone has had a full blown controller failure, but it is really stressful. Whole tank is dark -- pull the plug on your reef to get the effect. Neptune got me running the next day. That is worth a very lot of money to me.
We plan to offer 9 to 5 , 7 days customer support including email, chat and voice. We also plan to offer quick RMA for any item that goes bad.
We're a new company and with extensive professional and technical experience we will deliver something that would reflect quality and warranty. Since we're new we gotta start somewhere.
Feel free to add more feedback, customer obsession is number one priority.

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't see the point of limited control. At that point your almost better off with no control or a reefpi. Those who want control generally want FULL control. I think its a tough market to crack into because of the large minimum viable product it takes to enter the market. I think you'll have a hard time with anyone trusting any part of their tank control for $60 unless its just a temp controller - of which those already exist.

Maybe I'm wrong and such a market exists. If you've done your market research homework you should already have a firmer answer than I do though.

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't see the point of limited control. At that point your almost better off with no control or a reefpi. Those who want control generally want FULL control. I think its a tough market to crack into because of the large minimum viable product it takes to enter the market. I think you'll have a hard time with anyone trusting any part of their tank control for $60 unless its just a temp controller - of which those already exist.

Maybe I'm wrong and such a market exists. If you've done your market research homework you should already have a firmer answer than I do though.
Can you please elaborate on limited control ?
All outlets are fully customizable to be used individually or can be used with other sensors

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please elaborate on limited control ?
All outlets are fully customizable to be used individually or can be used with other sensors
Limited control for your whole tank - not just what abilities you plan on providing (which may or may not be great for what you intend to provide).

What happens when you need more than 4 outlets? Salinity? 0-10v control? Integration with other products beyond a simple 110v outlet? You mention leak detection (which is reactive in nature) but nothing about liquid level monitoring which is "proactive" in nature and more useful (and the #1 requirement for any "control" solution IMO). Ability to add buttons to start feedmode without using an app, etc.

There's a reason Apex/Hydros/GHL exist and it goes far beyond controlling 4 outlets and monitoring ph. I'm just not sure where the market is for a limited controller like you are suggesting. Most people who want to buy into a controller don't want such a limited feature set or the inability to expand. Again, maybe there is a market. But if there was I'd think there would already be an offering to fill that hole.

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limited control for your whole tank - not just what abilities you plan on providing (which may or may not be great for what you intend to provide).

What happens when you need more than 4 outlets? Salinity? 0-10v control? Integration with other products beyond a simple 110v outlet? You mention leak detection (which is reactive in nature) but nothing about liquid level monitoring which is "proactive" in nature and more useful (and the #1 requirement for any "control" solution IMO). Ability to add buttons to start feedmode without using an app, etc.

There's a reason Apex/Hydros/GHL exist and it goes far beyond controlling 4 outlets and monitoring ph. I'm just not sure where the market is for a limited controller like you are suggesting. Most people who want to buy into a controller don't want such a limited feature set or the inability to expand. Again, maybe there is a market. But if there was I'd think there would already be an offering to fill that hole.
I guess you missed the point , this would be a basic , entry level controller. Once we feel like it's a success the idea is to launch v2.0 which would be fully loaded with all sorts of probes and 10 outlet powerstrip

Last edited:

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you missed the point , this would be a basic , entry level controller. Once we feel like it's a success the idea is to launch v2.0 which would be fully loaded with all sorts of probes and 10 outlet powerstrip
I didn't miss the point. I understand you precisely and said I don't see a market for a limited controller like this but that (hopefully) you have already done market research and (should hopefully) already have a better answer than my opinion (which is what you asked for in this thread is it not?).

Best of luck to you and your endeavors!

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm absolutely a "Controller" type of guy (GHL fan here) and I would be interested and would try out your "entry level" unit. I feel there is potentially a good solid market for "Economical" controllers that are basic and SIMPLE (one does not always go with the other). At the very least you could use it as a "worse case" power cut for a runaway heater scenario.

Food for thought . . . are you, or your company, able and willing to accept liability if the controller malfunctions and "nukes" a tank? Have you worked out the possible kinks and installed the needed "fail safes" for those "bump in the night" scenarios?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow hobbyists!

I've designed a product and its ready to be commercially manufactured, but before I take the leap of faith, I wanted to get the community's thoughts. Let me share the details with you all.

What do you think about an affordable (something that everyone can easily afford and does not break your bank), entry-level smart aquarium controller with the following features:

• Four smart outlets to control heater and chiller based on the water temperature set in the app, with two additional outlets for running pumps or other devices, all controllable based on various parameters.
  • Temperature probe (included), allowing you to set your desired temperature in the app for automatic management of your heater or chiller.
  • Two leak detection probes (Included) to be placed on the floor, providing local sounding alarms and in-app notifications for any leaks. (You can also configure the device to stop the pump in case of a leak.)
  • Grounding probe (included) to remove any stray voltage.
  • pH monitoring capability (probe not included but available separately), which can be connected to any power outlet and configured to control any attached device. Easy pH probe calibration can be done from the app.
  • Local display on the device showing the desired and current temperature.
  • Fully functional app available on the App Store and Google Play for controlling the power outlets and viewing real-time data.
  • Over the Air updates
More features and functionality can be added to it but I would like to know what are some other quintessentials that you would like to see in this, keep in mind this would be an entry level product to help new and old hobbyist enjoy the hobby without having to worry about expensive smart controller

I'm eager to hear your thoughts and feedback on this !

Thanks
sounds pretty good so far

gunnarmcc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely be interested in a product like this. Something that gave me PH monitoring and some control on my nanos would be great. I tend to intentionally run my lights and wave makers on one outlet and my return pump and skimmer on another in case there is any issue with my power strips. In my mind I have some redundancy and ability to keep flow moving if one strip goes out. So having 2 of these at $120 in total would be a no brainer.

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm absolutely a "Controller" type of guy (GHL fan here) and I would be interested and would try out your "entry level" unit. I feel there is potentially a good solid market for "Economical" controllers that are basic and SIMPLE (one does not always go with the other). At the very least you could use it as a "worse case" power cut for a runaway heater scenario.

Food for thought . . . are you, or your company, able and willing to accept liability if the controller malfunctions and "nukes" a tank? Have you worked out the possible kinks and installed the needed "fail safes" for those "bump in the night" scenarios?
Thanks for your feedback; it's truly valuable. Here's a response to your questions/concerns:

The power outlets are powered by the main outlet in homes, which also powers the smart controller. One feature I missed mentioning is the health check/heartbeat of the controller. This means that in the event of a power outage, you'll receive a notification. In the worst-case scenario of the controller malfunctioning or completely failing, it will automatically turn off all the outlets, but you'll also receive a health notification. Additionally, for any other programmed actions, such as scheduled outlet activations, you'll receive notifications. However, there won't be any liability if the hardware fails, which, as far as I know, isn't offered by anyone else. Nonetheless, in the event of failure, you'll be promptly notified of the device going offline.

Please feel free to ask anything else and feedbacks are always welcome

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely be interested in a product like this. Something that gave me PH monitoring and some control on my nanos would be great. I tend to intentionally run my lights and wave makers on one outlet and my return pump and skimmer on another in case there is any issue with my power strips. In my mind I have some redundancy and ability to keep flow moving if one strip goes out. So having 2 of these at $120 in total would be a no brainer.
Thanks for the feedback,
One feature I forgot to mention is the device health check, in case of power failure user will receive notification on their apps along with other notifications

Thumbster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I “think” I would be interested although I’m still not 100% sure what all it does. Kinda like a Kasa smart strip/inkbird/PH monitor?
I’m curious what size and shape it is also.

OP
OP
F

fenomatik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I “think” I would be interested although I’m still not 100% sure what all it does. Kinda like a Kasa smart strip/inkbird/PH monitor?
I’m curious what size and shape it is also.
Thanks for interest, my final prototype is about 4(W) x 6(L) x 1.5(H) inches. You can assume all those products you mentioned in one box and a single app to monitor and control it.
One feature I forgot to mention is the device health check, in case of power failure user will receive notification on their apps along with other notifications

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back