SEIO Rat - a.k.a S-RAT by ReefVan - Circa October 2005

ReefVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built the S-Rat using a SEIO M1500 as the powerplant... is the rough equivalent of a Tunze 6060 as used on the Tunze-Rat...
tongue.gif

Man... do TAAM ever put a lot of adapters in those boxes... good thing though since I used a couple for the Reef-Rat drive unit mounting to the tank rim.... loll ... They're really quite good and it gave the whole unit a real polished look...
xyxthumbs.gif

The bracket adapter that I bolted to the Reef-Rat drive unit is fully adjustable for both tank rim width and the Reef-Rat drive unit horizontal positioning...
wink.gif

This way, the one mounting bracket on the Reef-Rat drive unit will serve two functions... clamping and horizontal positioning...
xyxthumbs.gif

As for the rest of the unit, I'm used a set of Tunze 6080.05 mounting magnets for now on the hinge / pump support assembly...

17161DSC01820.JPG

17161DSC01821.JPG

17161DSC01823.JPG

17161DSC01828.JPG

17161DSC01830.JPG

17161DSC01832.JPG

17161DSC01833.JPG

OP
OP
ReefVan

ReefVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnets are essential to the success of this project... without them the pump will jump all over the place...

The Reef-Rat part and hinge assembly are parts of my own design....

Exhaust centerline is at 4.5 " from the surface so it'll be just fine... my Tunze Rat is at the same height and the 6080 on it is stronger than the SEIO 1500... 2245 gph vs 1500 gph...

If your keeping coral I wouldn't really recommend to put this too deep...

Basically with an oscillating SEIO or Tunze pump you can cut the amount of pumps needed in half due to the multi-directional flow approach and the fact you don't need a controller to constantly turn alternating pumps on and off...
wink.gif

I'll add a shield on the top of the intake like Tunze has molded into their units because the SEIO sucks air when close to the surface...

OP
OP
ReefVan

ReefVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Rat models that drive the Tunze and SEIO pumps are essentially Super-Rat drives and have a 1/2" drive-shaft....

The shaft is protected from salt creep by a silicone-lubed O-ring in the drive block.... drives use a 60:1 teflon coated gear drive motor and a custom flywheel linkage bellcrank drive array...

So far so good.. K.I.S.S has made these very reliable and maintenance-free...mine have been running for close to 14 years on my Reef-Rats.

OP
OP
ReefVan

ReefVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This concept was of my own invention (circa 2005) as can be seen in posts on other saltwater aquarium websites. Well before any competing or similar product was disclosed or came to commercial market.
I offer this project under GPL licensing for construction and use by the general reefing public and that it may not be patented for commercial use.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back