Selecting equipment for apex outles?

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just purchased an apex with trident. I already have everything on a wifi power strip, which equipment is essential to have to the apex outlets? I might pick up another apex power strip if needed but looking at what to start with for now

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plug devices into the EnergyBar that you want the Apex to be able to programmatically turn on and off, or if you want to monitor its power consumption.

OP
OP
Drummerguydw

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plug devices into the EnergyBar that you want the Apex to be able to programmatically turn on and off, or if you want to monitor its power consumption.
im looking more for opinions of what people see as essential to be connected to the apex, Im thinking the trident, dos pumps, skimmer, return pumps would be priority?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the return pump and skimmer would be good choices. If your Trident and DOS are connecting with an AquaBus cable instead of the 1Link option, don't plug their separate power adapters into the EnergyBar unless you don't have any other choice. The Apex controls the DOS and Trident through the AquaBus or 1Link cable, so there's no need to turn the power on or off. If you do plug them into the EnergyBar, be sure those outputs are set to "Always On".

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking more for opinions of what people see as essential to be connected to the apex, Im thinking the trident, dos pumps, skimmer, return pumps would be priority?
Whatever @SuncrestReef says, go with that. :) He has some awesome articles/tutorials here you should read.

I run InkBird temp controllers for my heaters, then have them plugged into the APEX. The Inkbirds do the controlling of the heat, but the APEX is there to shut power to them in the event they controller "fails ON".

OP
OP
Drummerguydw

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the return pump and skimmer would be good choices. If your Trident and DOS are connecting with an AquaBus cable instead of the 1Link option, don't plug their separate power adapters into the EnergyBar unless you don't have any other choice. The Apex controls the DOS and Trident through the AquaBus or 1Link cable, so there's no need to turn the power on or off. If you do plug them into the EnergyBar, be sure those outputs are set to "Always On".
thank you! im setting up my first high dollar/high tech tank so all this controller business is new to me, that helps a ton, thanks!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just purchased an apex with trident. I already have everything on a wifi power strip, which equipment is essential to have to the apex outlets? I might pick up another apex power strip if needed but looking at what to start with for now
Return pumps, skimmer, power heads for feed mode.
Temp control or heaters for fail-safe(r).
Lights for auto timing, which you might have covered with the smart strip.

OP
OP
Drummerguydw

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps, skimmer, power heads for feed mode.
Temp control or heaters for fail-safe(r).
Lights for auto timing, which you might have covered with the smart strip.
I have all kessils so i figure i could set their time through the wifi dongle

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back