Self sustaining seahorse tank

alepop1211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here think it is possibke to keep say a few dwarf seahorses in a tank above 125 gallons without needing to feed them.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to reference another forum but the 'org' has a great thread titled LARGE DWARF TANK where the original poster seeded a 40 gallon breeder tank with copepods and mysis shrimp long before introducing some DSH. The thread is under the dwarf seahorse section but you have to type it in because it has been archived. It was self sustaining for quite some time and it was no where near the gallons you are suggesting.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do link r2R is so open minded we gladly share pertinent info from all sites, and I mean all reef sites :) being here is so awesome. true science is never held up by unallowing links, I even reference reefcentral for some oldies but goodies. How big of r2r to be that way ~

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do link r2R is so open minded we gladly share pertinent info from all sites, and I mean all reef sites :) being here is so awesome. true science is never held up by unallowing links, I even reference reefcentral for some oldies but goodies. How big of r2r to be that way ~
That is amazing but I really appreciate such an attitude. It certainly is a way to share some specialized info that can really help a new dwarf seahorse keeper. Thank you r2r for being so understanding.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gentleman scholar Pete Giwonja from that site seahorse.org (sure hope sp is right, going off ten yr recall) took time to speak to me in pm at length about keeping zosterae in pico reefs, though we had filtration schemes worked out it was the hydroid control that turned me off

The degree of control it takes to bring up dry live rock to look reefy and have no hydroids

Knowing all forms of marine substrate transfer involve hydroids in some way, a universal hitchhiker, the alternative was to use non reef substrates... How would this large system procure pods and prevent hydroids

As I scan details involving transfers of marine water tank to tank, hydroids can hitchhike with pods no joke. Maybe there's a targeting medication.

To speak with Pete about seahorses made quite an impression on me. I had nightmares of hydroids for a while

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gentleman scholar Pete Giwonja from that site seahorse.org (sure hope sp is right, going off ten yr recall) took time to speak to me in pm at length about keeping zosterae in pico reefs, though we had filtration schemes worked out it was the hydroid control that turned me off

The degree of control it takes to bring up dry live rock to look reefy and have no hydroids

Knowing all forms of marine substrate transfer involve hydroids in some way, a universal hitchhiker, the alternative was to use non reef substrates... How would this large system procure pods and prevent hydroids

As I scan details involving transfers of marine water tank to tank, hydroids can hitchhike with pods no joke. Maybe there's a targeting medication.

To speak with Pete about seahorses made quite an impression on me. I had nightmares of hydroids for a while
Wow, you spoke with Pete in person! I took the free online seahorse training course offered by Ocean Rider and Pete is the moderator of that. I found him so helpful and knowledgeable and most of what I know about seahorses came from him.

I would have to read the thread through its entirety again to see how the OP dealt with hydroids. The staple for feeding her dwarfs were mysis larvae though. She did not supplement any bbs.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No online in email and pm sorry to make it appear all cool as if I get to HI before I'm eighty

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No online in email and pm sorry to make it appear all cool as if I get to HI before I'm eighty
Ha ha, I got a good laugh thinking you met Pete in person at least. Anyway, you and I are priveledge to live in a time when we can glean knowledge from someone like Pete thru email or pm.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back