Semi Cryptic Refugium???

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’ll be setting up a 600 litre reef tank and for filtration I plan on using a Bubble Magus Roller Mat and a Bubble Magus Curve 9 Elite Protein skimmer as well as a Maxspect jump 8k return pump. I’ll add the reactors later on. So, in the refugium section, I was thinking of making it kind of cryptic in the sense that I will have no macro algae or any light. In that section I will have some bio media and a container full of sand. That is all I plan on adding, so do you think that this will somewhat do the job of a cryptic refugium? And will copepods grow in there? I might add a small algae reactor or an algae turf scrubber later on but for now will this do the job?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use what you are referring to as a semi-cryptic refugium. I use ocean cultured live sand and mostly live rock in it. It is Pod Heaven. It also grows a lot of sponges, tube worms, and other organisms. IMO, it is the best use of the refugium area in a sump.

I have a Bubble Magnus Curve 7 on my 90. It is a little flaky, and overflows easily... not a terrible skimmer, just flaky.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use what you are referring to as a semi-cryptic refugium. I use ocean cultured live sand and mostly live rock in it. It is Pod Heaven. It also grows a lot of sponges, tube worms, and other organisms. IMO, it is the best use of the refugium area in a sump.

I have a Bubble Magnus Curve 7 on my 90. It is a little flaky, and overflows easily... not a terrible skimmer, just flaky.
I see thanks! I'll try to find some real ocean-cured live rock, but if I am not able to find it, then I will put some bio media in my cousin's sump for around 3-4 months and then put it in my sump when the tank is set up (hopefully in February). That should bring over some copepods and also different kinds of bacteria, right? Also, if you don't mind me asking, can you please give me a picture of your sump and the refugium section? Thank you in advance!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see thanks! I'll try to find some real ocean-cured live rock, but if I am not able to find it, then I will put some bio media in my cousin's sump for around 3-4 months and then put it in my sump when the tank is set up (hopefully in February). That should bring over some copepods and also different kinds of bacteria, right? Also, if you don't mind me asking, can you please give me a picture of your sump and the refugium section? Thank you in advance!
I'll have to wait until I get home to get you a picture. Not much to look at, just a pile of rocks. I just now noticed your location. Shipping live rock and sand might be an issue for you, but check out live rock on the internet. One of the vendors might ship to Bangladesh. Biomedia (or just plain old dry rock) from another trusted tank would be a good option if live rock is unavailable or shipping is just too expensive.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to wait until I get home to get you a picture. Not much to look at, just a pile of rocks. I just now noticed your location. Shipping live rock and sand might be an issue for you, but check out live rock on the internet. One of the vendors might ship to Bangladesh. Biomedia (or just plain old dry rock) from another trusted tank would be a good option if live rock is unavailable or shipping is just too expensive.
We have the longest uninterrupted beach in the world, so I guess we have plenty of live rock . But the thing is that people don’t really use live rock here so not everybody sell it. Probably just have to look for it a little more thoroughly.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the longest uninterrupted beach in the world, so I guess we have plenty of live rock . But the thing is that people don’t really use live rock here so not everybody sell it. Probably just have to look for it a little more thoroughly.
If you can legally collect live rock that would be great...of course I don't know what the laws are there

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back