Seriatopora caliendrum

Salty dream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Need some help...

Where I can find information about seriatopora caliendum mucus, what it excrete when it is irritated and what it contains?

Strange question but 3 months ago I was doing maintenance to tank and cut of some branches from seriatopora caliendrum and one piece drop to floor and I get to my toe. Since then I have eaten three antibiotic regimens and they don't help anyway. Last Saturday toe gets swollen and blue again (6th time), today to doctor again and some blood test more, they showed nothing, then to MRI.
On MRI pictures doctor see that on my toe is tissue damages, like from snakebite or something that destroys tissue. But surprisingly here in Finland doctors don't have much experience about corals and now they don't know what should do next... they need to know what kind of toxin that coral may contain, that's why I ask this question from you

Thank you all that continue reading this story at this point.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef! I’m sorry you’ve had trouble. Some people have reactions to corals. I don’t know what the toxin is but maybe someone here does. @reefsquared If no one here knows see if there is a large public aquarium and try to talk to a marine biologist there. Or call a local university and find if someone specializes in marine biology. They may can help..

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge there is no toxins in Seriatopora.. I've heard of play toxins, toxins from Dinos, but never from an SPS, and I've been cut many times by stony corals (including Seriatopora). Did the coral just fall on your toe, or was there an open wound? Never heard of anything like that happening.

OP
OP
S

Salty dream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step on it and about 10mm (0.4inch) piece goes in to toe, I get most of it out but not all

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn’t get it all out, then the inflammatory responses live on. It’s possible you’re not dealing with bacteria, which is why the antibiotics aren’t working. Blood work should reveal if it’s fungal, viral, etc.

Good luck and I hope you get this treated. Must be painful, I have a buddy who lives in finland but he won’t be much help at all.

That’s the reason why I use gloves now in my tank. I’ve had too many painful, inflamed puncture wounds.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back