Seriatopora Coloration — LFS vs My System

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Seriatopora frag from a local farm a couple of months ago, and it was brown with slightly green tips. In the beginning of the attached video below, you can see what the frags in their system look like. Their corals are ~24” from their lights, which are Radions.

Over the next couple of months, my frag has become duller, and it has gained significantly much more polyp extension than those at the farm. You can see that in the second half of the video below. My frag is also ~24” from the lights, which are also Radions. They do have a much shallows tank, so I am assuming that may allow more light to get to their frags than my system allows since it’s deeper; their lights are higher above their systems than mine.

All of my corals are encrusting well, and some that were browned out at the time of purchase have colored up beautifully in my system. My parameters are stable, with the following measurements:

Alkalinity - 8.5-9.0 dKH
Calcium - 450 ppm
Magnesium - 1400 ppm
Nitrates - 5.0 ppm
Phosphates - 0.01-0.03 ppm

The PAR measurement where the frag sits in my system is ~150. The farm doesn’t measure PAR, and they have their Radions set to 100% over every system. Also, they don’t have diffusers, but I do.

Do you think that the difference in appearance is simply a matter of them giving more light to their frags? I can’t test this because they don’t measure PAR and won’t let me measure it for them.

Also, please excuse the brown algae in my system; I’m going through an ugly stage since it’s been set up for only a few months.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a param/stability issue, seeing that you are having some algae/bacteria bloom. 150 par is really low imo, I like to keep birds nest in high par. Nothing lower than 350, but that's just my experience with them

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back