Serious question here

Alanan27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo, I posted a thread a few days ago about being new to the saltwater hobby after being in freshwater for-well forever, even breeding fish to trade or sell. Long story short when I began I had a very “poor perception of guidance from a LFS that supposedly had been in the hobby 30 years-had several saltwater aquariums at home blah blah blah-he mislead me that the fish in a “fresh water tank but with added salt” were healthy-they had ich and velvet and it transferred to each other leading to their demise, not to mention an improper setup-it was a fire angel and 2 false clowns. The only thing surviving was a red handed shrimp and 2 starfish and an anemone. Fast forward to 4 mths into the hobby-I got a 46 gal-proper filtration and now skimmer system with blower heads-I have a watchman -sand sifter starfish as well, 2 urchins-tuxedos, 1 being from the newbie system- I added another cleaner shrimp, not the same type-fire shrimp I think, just got him, a sailfin, 6line, and a mandarin dragonette, I purchased the new setup w live rock-coral, Kenya trees, sand and added another bubble tip. Decided I wanted 2 real clownfish-both are about the same size. After I introduced the 1st clown the wrasse went crazy-even on my watchman that had been his tank mate and after the watchman opened his mouth wide-the wrasse retreated…from the beginning the sailfin, wrasse and dragonette hung out within very close quarters of each other-the dragonette could care less, he’s too busy finding cooepods and yes I added tons more to make sure he didn’t starve…well the sailfin whom acted ok at 1st to the 1st clown introduced went crazy in the clown after the wrasse did. I couldn’t catch the 6line due to rock work-but caught and returned the sailfin for another real clown that came in with the same shipment as the 1st I introduced. I knew if I kept the sailfin and wrasse they’d kill my clown. So the clowns after about 6hrs of introduction of kinda chasing, wiggling and communicating are happily bobbing around together and rubbing against each-not in either anemone but by my blower head…which I read they sometimes do. Plus my wrasse is always swimming all through my rock work so maybe they’re scared…he dodged at the newest one when I added-I’ll say him, because while only slightly smaller the local shop advised the other one had already turned to female. For the most part the wrasse only gets close and flares a little-the clowns separate then and dodge him or her and then go right back to dancing together in the tank. Now that they have each other again, they swim happily even after he semi dive bombs at them as his demeanor has toned down since the beginning and sometimes he just ignores him. So my question is-I rebuilt my rock on the left side-I heard it can chill fish out some, but doesn’t need to be rebuilt for another year. The wrasse avoided the area at 1st, but now swims freely around all of it-he hasn’t went after the watchman anymore-but should I go ahead and pull most of my rocks out to catch and trade him or is and will he tone down? He’s gorgeous and had heard they’re aggressive-he was the last fish added before these…but I was hoping that getting rid of his bullying partner the sailfin that he would chili even though he views the area as his. Will it get better? Or should I tear it apart to catch and trade for more peaceful fish? Ty!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, paragraphs are not the enemy...

Second, depending on how big your sailfin was - there’s a better than even chance that the tank was too small for him, so some of the aggression issues can be explained away (my wrasse, clownfish and sailfin all get along).

Third, without seeing your rockscaping I couldn’t even begin to speculate if that will make a difference. There could be other issues with your tank (water parameters) that are coming into play as well.

It’s also entirely possible that you have either too many large fish or simply too many dominant fish in an enclosed space, so before you start swapping fish out you need to figure out if a) there are issues with your water parameters and b) if your tank is overstocked.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, paragraphs are not the enemy...

Second, depending on how big your sailfin was - there’s a better than even chance that the tank was too small for him, so some of the aggression issues can be explained away (my wrasse, clownfish and sailfin all get along).

Third, without seeing your rockscaping I couldn’t even begin to speculate if that will make a difference. There could be other issues with your tank (water parameters) that are coming into play as well.

It’s also entirely possible that you have either too many large fish or simply too many dominant fish in an enclosed space, so before you start swapping fish out you need to figure out if a) there are issues with your water parameters and b) if your tank is overstocked.
Seconded, also remember to buy a saltwater test kit and not freshwater.

Welcome to R2R!

A91466B2-6F65-4C00-A0B2-35C13F04023C.gif

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 lines have been known to turn into aggressive terrors on a whim.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin in a 46g isnt going to last very long.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above, I think it was a great move exchanging the sailfin out (assuming we are talking sailfin tang).

That said, rearranging the rockwork can usually help but it is hard to say without a picture or two. But be aware, while the clowns may be taking a little bit of a hit right now, once they get established, they can hold their own and even be the aggressors.

If I’m reading right, you now have a 6 Line, a watchman goby, a mandarin and 2 clowns. That too me is not too many fish for a 46 Gallon (as long as sufficient food is provided for the mandarin, which I believe you said you’re adding pods). They key would be how long the new set up has been up and running.

I would give it time. Also keep an eye on the sand sifting starfish, they can be difficult to keep alive long term

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone above that the 6 line wrasse is known to be very aggressive, changing your aquascape can help with an aggressive fish that is defending its territory, but with a 6 line I doubt it will. The sailfin (again assuming tang) will quickly get too big for your tank, and a fish in a tank that is too small also often leads to aggression.

I'd advise you to return the 6 line and the sailfin. I would also quit taking the advice of a lfs. I never take the advice from someone who is trying to sell me something. Ecspecially if they sold you a sailfin tang for a tank that small if they knew the size of your tank.

I'm not sure how new your tank is but adding inhabitants slowly is one key to having success with saltwater aquariums IME.

Back