Serpent stars autonomous like their basket cousins?

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this serpent star and I didn't beleive they were autonomous. But it lost a hunk of a limb that has been moving around for close to a week now. I'm hoping it grows limbs. The first picture the leg is standing detached. The second picture is where the leg has been for the last 24 hours goes from flat to hunched like it's feeding. I will post an update in a week or so.

20240314_191045.jpg 20240315_212323.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't beleive they were autonomous. But it lost a hunk of a limb that has been moving around for close to a week now. I'm hoping it grows limbs.
For clarification, there are two different concepts you're thinking of here:

1 - Autotomy (not to be confused with autonomy) - this is where an animal drops a limb (like an arm or a tail), typically to distract a predator.

2 - Fissiparity/Fissiparous Reproduction - this is where an animal splits into parts (typically, but not always, in half), and those parts both regrow into whole, separate animals.

(Aquilonastra starfish - known in the hobby as Asterina starfish - are great examples of fissiparity, sometimes splitting in half, and other times just dropping a single leg; in either case, the dropped parts grow into new starfish).

Brittle/Serpent Stars (Ophiuroids) of various species may exhibit one or both of these behaviors.

If just the arm is detached and there's no part of the central disc attached to that arm as well, then I expect the arm will eventually stop moving and decay, but I don't know for sure. Personally, I'd keep it to see for sure what happens to it over time.

Either way, cool to see, but possibly cause for concern if you don't know why the arm autotomized:

"experimental studies revealed that autotomized arms continue to function several days after they have been dropped from the organism. Not only do they continue to move, they appear to have the capability to find their way under habitat and shade just like the whole organism would do in the wild if it was fully intact. Although not a lot of research has been done on the fate of the arms after they have been dropped, one potential reason they can still move days after being released from the organism may be to confuse predators into thinking that it is the actual organism itself giving the brittle star time to successfully escape."*

*Source:

OP
OP
anemonalex

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the article I was reading called it autonomous fragmentation, it separated in the bag. Also it shares the sump with a turbo snail so it's in a good spot to potentially regrow. Would be very cool. Thanks for the contribution.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back