Serpent star with fish

jacob4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago I bought a serpent star from my lfs, and was told it would be OK with my fish. After having a look online I've seen pretty mixed reviews on them, and a few people saying they can eat fish, I spent the 3 days trying to catch it because I was scared of it eating my firefish.

Eventually I got it when it was eating a piece of prawn and I put it in the sump for the time being, and was considering taking it back to the lfs. Wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on if I should or not? My goby was sleeping pretty much on top of it for 2 days and it never hurt it while it was well fed, but I don't want to take any risks, no idea what the species is but it is an orangey colour. Also about 5-6cm diameter so it's not huge. Thanks

Snapchat-807723866.jpg DSCN0061.JPG DSCN0060.JPG

Brianreeferny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a banded serpent star about 12". It stays in the same cave with my firefish and yellow watchman goby, it never bothered none of the fish in the tank. I don't directly feed it, it eats whatever food is leftover from the fish.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my serpent star for years, it does go after smaller fish like clown gobies and neon gobies.... It took me a while and a few fish to figure it out. But it leaves fish alone that are larger than clown and neon gobies IME

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my serpent star for years, it does go after smaller fish like clown gobies and neon gobies.... It took me a while and a few fish to figure it out. But it leaves fish alone that are larger than clown and neon gobies IME
thats odd, ive got 8 small gobies in my 210 (6 rainfords and 2 yellow lines) and 3 of them sleep in the same cave as my serpent star. its never once tried to go after them.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats odd, ive got 8 small gobies in my 210 (6 rainfords and 2 yellow lines) and 3 of them sleep in the same cave as my serpent star. its never once tried to go after them.
I don't know. I also have a hectors goby in the tank for 6 months thats still there, every single day I'm surprised to see him. So I don't know.

OP
OP
J

jacob4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a firefish and a tiny ycg on the tank so that might be an issue. What colour star is it?

OP
OP
J

jacob4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a banned and a red serpant. Keep the tank well fed and you shouldn't have a problem. They will eat everything.
That sounds good, I fed it little chunks of prawn and yeah it didn't touch any fish in the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back