Set up my New system over the weekend!

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help Dennis! Obviously I couldn't have done it without you. I will be ordering my Live Rock and sand today and will try to have it delivered on Friday.

Yesterday... I went and got a larger Belkin power strip and re-did all the plugs, labled all of them, etc. What I forgot about was the fact that when I killed all the power to unplug the old strip and plug everything in the new, was the sump overflowing:squigglemouth: Oh well....only a couple gallons but it always seems like more when it's on the floor!:wink:
I've attached a couple pictures. I really like the look of the new system and the stand is nicer than I thought it would be.

Attachments

• New system & Deet (2).jpg
    New system & Deet (2).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 245
  • Left side sump.jpg
    Left side sump.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Right side sump.jpg
    Right side sump.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Chiller compartment.jpg
    Chiller compartment.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Full under cabinet & Deet.jpg
    Full under cabinet & Deet.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 203
OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solana XL 67

A couple more pics.
Thanks again Dennis!

Attachments

• Rudy says, where's the fish.jpg
    Rudy says, where's the fish.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Helpers.jpg
    Helpers.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 245

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nice system - Dennis said he was pretty impressed with it for the cost.

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice Terry, need to look at why the sump overflowed when you removed power though that shouldn't happen otherwise you will have a flood everytime the power goes out.

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering that myself John. Was hoping someone could answer that question for me. The sump was filled to the proper level, there's anti-syphon holes in the bottom of both return nozzles in the tank. It does have me a bit worried. I sure don't want it overflowing whenever the power goes out. Does anyone have any ideas?
By the way.... the first 1/2 of my *Package* is actually coming tomorrow afternoon! I will pick it up at the airport. I ordered from www.tbsaltwater.com This guy has incredible Live rock! On the first shipment you get all the live sand & 1/2 the rock. After the tank cycles, he sends the other half of the rock and inverts, etc. I was totally blown away by the threads on Reef Central about Richard and his *Package*. You guys should check it out. Oh by the way.... he ships all his rock and sand in water! Not just wet newspapers. The pictures people have shown on Reef Central, right out of the box are incredible! And the life & critters on the rock is fantastic.
Here's a link to the Tampa Bay Salt Water forum on Reef Central.....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1626705

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure you inspect the rock carefully as you put it in the tank, carribean LR can be loaded with very nasty critters and it would be shame to lose expensive things down the road. I have seen some the TB LR in person and it is very impressive lots of little corals hard and soft along with macro algaes, but the 100lb shipment of rock had 3 mantis shrimp and 6 gorilla crabs in it along with some coral eating nudis.

As far as you sump overflowing, I generally set the sump level by turning the pumps off and filling the sump to the maximum level without overflowing the sump (or in your case removing enough water so that it doesn't overflow) then turn the pumps on and once the sump level quits dropping that is the full mark when the pumps are running. If you do it this way there is no chance of ever overflowing the sump as long as when you add water for topoff you do not fill the sump beyond this mark.

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks John. that sounds like a smart way to fill the sump. I think we finished filling it with all equipment running.
As for the TB live rockj, i'm aware of the undesireable hitchhikers. richard is very upfront and honest about it. i will be very careful and be on the look out for Mantis and gorilla crabs. I'll try to get them before putting the rock in but know that they might make it into the tank. i plan to go slow and will attempt to capture any undesireables before adding anything more to the tank.
His LR was just too good to pass up regardless but I do appreciate the caution.
I also like the way he does business. just a really good guy. found out my shipment won't be in until 8;30 tonight. bummer. Was hoping it would make the noon flight. Oh well. It's going to be a fun night:smile:

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be fun, I'll be curious to see what kind of hitchhikers you get and hopefully get to see some of them in person.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool - if you get mantis or gorilla crabs, hang on to them or give me a call. I would love to have some for the school - we're covering crustaceans right now in biology.

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! My pleasure. I'd rather donate them to a worthy cause then squish them.:squigglemouth: If I had a place to keep them where they couldn't do any harm, I might consider hanging on to them as I've heard they are pretty cool little characters even though they can be destructive.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back