Setting Heater High Point Threshold Profilux 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Scobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

Have been using my Profilux 4 for a few months now and love it. I use a TMC 300w heater that has it's own set point (set to 26 degrees C) and temp display with the Profilux and I am looking for step by step advice on how to set up a maximum temp cut out on the Profilux 4. The reason for doing this was I previously had a cheaper temp controller that malfunctioned with an always on heater and it cooked my 5 year old tank with disastrous consequences.

I have been through the instructions several times and been unable to work out how to set this maximum temp set point on the Profilux to prevent another tank cook if the TMC heater fails. So if anyone can provide a step by step guide on how to go through the Profilux menus to achieve this I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Scott

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Go to the Switch channel corresponding to the socket where your heater is plugged and assign function "Temperature 1" with parameter "Heater"

Go to Control -> Sensors -> Temperature 1 and set Nominal value and Hysteresis

Gaël

OP
OP
S

Scobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Go to the Switch channel corresponding to the socket where your heater is plugged and assign function "Temperature 1" with parameter "Heater"

Go to Control -> Sensors -> Temperature 1 and set Nominal value and Hysteresis

Gaël
Hi Gael

Thanks for replying, so just to see if I understand your instructions correctly:

Nominal Value = the minimum temperate to be set (for example 24 degrees C)

Hysteresis = the range between the nominal value and the highest value (so again 24 degrees C for nominal value and 4 degrees C would cut the heater out at 28 degrees C if the heater's onboard temp controller failed)?

Thanks

Scott

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really.

If you do that configuration you describe - your socket will switch off at 26 and switch on at 22 degree C

What is the temperature you want your heaters internal controller to withhold? Which temperature is your max?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S

Scobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really.

If you do that configuration you describe - your socket will switch off at 26 and switch on at 22 degree C

What is the temperature you want your heaters internal controller to withhold? Which temperature is your max?

Sincerely Lasse
Hi Lasse

I have the TMC heater set to 26 degrees C, so all I want the Profilux to do is cut the power to the heater if it's internal thermostat fails (to avoid another tank fry like I had before). So I'm guessing that a maximum of 27 or 28 degrees C should stop anything like that?

Thanks

Scott

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gael

Thanks for replying, so just to see if I understand your instructions correctly:

Nominal Value = the minimum temperate to be set (for example 24 degrees C)

Hysteresis = the range between the nominal value and the highest value (so again 24 degrees C for nominal value and 4 degrees C would cut the heater out at 28 degrees C if the heater's onboard temp controller failed)?

Thanks

Scott
Roughly, the Hysteresis is cut in half above and below. In the US we call it a deadband. What ever the value, its usually 50 percent of that value above and below desired setpoint. So if your Hysteresis is 4 it will be 2c above and below, if 6 then 3 above and below and so one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Scobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly, the Hysteresis is cut in half above and below. In the US we call it a deadband. What ever the value, its usually 50 percent of that value above and below desired setpoint. So if your Hysteresis is 4 it will be 2c above and below, if 6 then 3 above and below and so one.

Brilliant that explains it thanks very much!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back