Setting up 72 bow front

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys so I'm moving in about a month and want to make sure my 72 bow front and plumbed and ready to go. I need to determine first if I can drill the back? I know I can use polarized sunglasses to see if the back is tempered is there another way? Second I have the standard stand it came with the cheap black ones, does anyone know for certain what size tank fits u see here? I was going to try a 40 breeder but that may be a tight squeeze. Was also considering just purchasing a prebuilt one but they are so pricey. Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated. I was looking into making my own with acrylic but I think that's a bit of a project with only one month to go and all the plumbing to do. And any suggestion on size of pvc? I will most likely be doing a bean animal. Thanks everyone !

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 72 bow I had only the bottom was tempered. A 20g is probably the biggest tank you will get to fit under it and it wont come back out unless you drain the tank and remove it from the back of the stand.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rear brace I will take out and use bolts and wing nuts to make it removable like a I did with my 40. A 20 is probably not big enough for a 72 right? Should I just bite the bullet and buy one of the prebuilt models? Any suggestions for manufacturers ?

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at the 29G and it has the same outline as the 20L but is a bit taller I may see if that will fit. It will give me room for any power outage or failure of return pump.

HtfdWhaler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Bryan,

In my setup I had e-shopps R-100 sump with reef octopus skimmer in first chamber. Fuge in 2nd chamber and a Mag5 for a return pump. It worked well for me.

Check the link for the sump dimensions, you really can't fit anything bigger than that. Also I would reenforce the stand if you plan on using it, I just don't trust the particle board.

R100-Eshopps Refugium II - 24 x 14 x 16 | Premium Aquatics

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the response! Love the ease of use and if my calculations are correct that is a 23 gallon sump. So if I were to buy the tank $20 for 20G(L) or $29 for a 29G I would have about the same capacity and for $60 they sell the acrylic and sock holder precut on a certain auction site.

So I could effectively make the same thing for half price correct? Not trying to skimp just trying to save money as I will need to buy a return pump. I was thinking the dc3000 as it is controllable and I have heard good things. I will use my hob remora until I can afford a reef octopus. I think the 29G will be perfect as it has the same dimensions as a 20G(L) it's just taller.

Let me know what you think! Thank you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back