Setting up a 29g, want pointers

databuffer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2025
Messages
57
Reaction score
57
Location
Easton
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm currently setting up an AIO 29g cube, and I'm very new to reefing, so I just want some tips on possible way forward.

the tank is cycled with live rock, and can 100% process 3ppm of ammonia into nitrites and nitrates overnight. my centerpiece is a midas blenny (already in the tank), and I have plans to get a single clown, but I know he will need to be added last. I have some hitchhiker inverts - 2 RFAs, and 1 kenya tree. current CUC is 3 blue legged hermits, and 2 astrea snails at the moment, since theres not much algae yet.
My plans for the tank are for it to be softie corals, and display macroalgaes.

In short: what are some beginner friendly corals, inverts and fish that would play nice in this set up for me to consider? I really want a big anemone for the clown to mess around in, and it would LIKE to have a big shrimp, and an urchin if at all possible, but not sure what my options are compatibility-wise

another-hitchhiker-blenny-update-v0-l7mzm3jqnbxf1.jpeg another-hitchhiker-blenny-update-v0-h2f4t2rtnbxf1.jpeg blenny.PNG
 
Nice tank and welcome to the hobby! My thoughts are below:

  • For some beginner-friendly corals that will get along well with softies I'd recommend zoanthids and micromussa. Their light requirements are relatively low, and they don't form branching structures that might snag your planned macroalgae.
  • For fish, you have lots of options. You could definitely have a pair of clowns instead of just one if you like. A six line wrasse would also be a good fit, in my opinion. Some folks hate them, but I am a big fan personally.
  • For inverts, you mentioned wanting a big shrimp. I cannot recommend skunk cleaner shrimp enough. Big, bold, beautiful and full of personality. You should also consider trochus snails, they're my favorite CuC member after skunk cleaner shrimp. They eat lots of algae, move fast, and can reproduce in our tanks. Perhaps also consider a serpent star. Urchin is possible, but keep in mind they are bulldozers, so you need to ensure all your rocks and corals are firmly secured or they will get topped over and/or dragged around.
  • Finally, for a big nem, you can't go wrong with a rainbow bubbletip. I'd wait until your tank is firmly established as anemones thrive on stability, and get the nem before you go crazy with corals, because the nem may wander before finding it's favorite spot, and will sting corals as it wanders.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new