Setting up a calcium reactor

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with the Aquamaxx T1. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Either way, I bought the reactor, the calcium and MAG media, Co2 tank and regulator. It says I should use a Co2 check valve. My questions is, do I need one ? What kind of pump do I need? It says an aqualifter is recommended, but isn't that basically an air pump? The third is, once I get it all set up, how long after should I discontinue my dosing pumps?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like how @hybridazn has his set up. I'll be doing mine the same way.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this video as a starting point. This way is insanely easier to set up and maintain as opposed to the conventional way of setting up a CaRX

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valve: yes, because once reactor is full of saltwater, water will flow into the CO2 tank, the check valve will prevent that. You can use any small pump or if you have a reactor manifold, you can use those. The aqualifier is a small pump that pulls water, it's not an air pump. Once you get the reactor setup, and if it's dailed in, you can take the dosing pumps offline. The video above is pretty good.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valve: yes, because once reactor is full of saltwater, water will flow into the CO2 tank, the check valve will prevent that. You can use any small pump or if you have a reactor manifold, you can use those. The aqualifier is a small pump that pulls water, it's not an air pump. Once you get the reactor setup, and if it's dailed in, you can take the dosing pumps offline. The video above is pretty good.

Doesn't a regulator help with that?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't a regulator help with that?

You need a check valve on the line that goes from the regulator to the reactor to prevent water from siphoning thru when the regulator isn't on

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so in the video you posted, he said to use a needle valve, would just a standard valave be OK? Also, in the video, he says start at PH 7.4 and off 7.3. I confused, what goes "off" at 7.3? I have a controller.

The "off" and "on" is your regulator. Regulator on to let co2 into the reactor when your ph rises above 7.4(in the reactor)...Then regulator off when your ph level gets lower than 7.3(in the reactor).

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, this reactor recommends using an aqualifter pump.

Some people use aqualifters,some use dosing/peristaltic pumps or just any small pump/powerhead. I use a small Rio 600(10 watts I think) on one system and a small minijet on another. It just needs to be big enough to constantly feed the reactor.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airline check valve

Be careful using regular airline check valves with CO2. When I used to run CO2 on my planted tanks, the regular airline check valves would fail due to the diaphragm hardening with exposure to CO2. This was a common problem in the planted tank community. Granted I doubt you run CO2 continuously like they do on planted tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back