Setting up a frag tank soon, any tips?

aKlevans

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2017
Messages
554
Reaction score
565
Location
NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I am thinking of starting a small frag tank soon and I am asking for some tips.

First off, I am debating whether to buy a 20 gallon long tank or custom build one to be able to hold more coral. What do you guys think?

So far, here is the plan:
20 gallon long tank (or custom built one)
Black eggcrate from BRS
Korallia nano 435
No sand

Filtration:
I don't have the space (or money) for a sump, so I am debating on what I should use for filtration.

Option 1:
Convert an aquaclear 20 into a refugium

Option 2: Use rock as biological filtration for the only method of filtration.

Any opinions?
 
Have you seen the mods folks do to convert a 20 long into a 20 gallon AIO tank? That might be a viable option if you're up for the DIY work. I don't even think DIY is the only option, as in there are retrofit kits for sale somewhere online that do the job for you.
 
Have you seen the mods folks do to convert a 20 long into a 20 gallon AIO tank? That might be a viable option if you're up for the DIY work. I don't even think DIY is the only option, as in there are retrofit kits for sale somewhere online that do the job for you.
Ah, I totally forgot about that!
I was thinking about it a few days ago but totally forgot.
I think I could be up for that.

BTW, thanks for posting on two of my posts at the same time:D
 
Also feel like I should mention lighting:
I chose Black box led because this is supposed to be more of a budget tank and I have seen that they perform well for their cost.
 
Check out Figi Cube AIO Box Aquarium Filtration Kit on eBay. They make one for a standard 20 gallon. Never used them, but saw it recently.

 
Check out Figi Cube AIO Box Aquarium Filtration Kit on eBay. They make one for a standard 20 gallon. Never used them, but saw it recently.
Looks fantastic, however outside of my price range:(
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new